Quivering & its remedy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 4, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What causes quivering when blowing long tones, especially on chresendo, even after lip muscle developement? What is/are the remedies?.................crow

2. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hi Crowmadic

"Quivering" is a good way to describe it. I have had this from time to time and have still not found a definitive answer and solution. For me I think it happens after I have been playing a lot and everything gets tight......sometimes I find a really good warm up loosens the chops and it goes away. Very occasionally it will last several days....fortunately I have not had it on gigs! I have noticed that the more I think about it the worse it gets.....my guess is it has something to do with tension....? Have you had it happen on a large bore instrument?

Walter

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Quivering can be many things:
    face muscles
    breathing apparatus
    tongue autonomy
    tension of the neck muscles
    blood pressure!!!!!!!

Most of my list could be observed in a mirror while practicing.

I have some quivering in my playing after a really heavy weekend of gigs where I play more than is healthy for my chops.
    Soft long tones (very low tension playing) the following day seem to solve the issue.

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Tension.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    To the above list, add coffee--even beta-blockers don't work. This becomes an issue for those early Sunday morning church gigs. To avoid coffee I once went to bed at 6:30 the night before, got 11 hours sleep, and was insufferably perky and cheerful, utterly changing the group dynamics. I now sleep less, drink coffee, and mask the shakes with vibrato. Amazing, the sacrifices we'll make for the group!

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my lower jaw will start to quiver when the nerves set in and I have to take deep breathes and get my mind off of the nerve propblem to get the lower jaw to quit quivering. Dave

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Walter, I'm going back and forth on two trumpets right now. One is a '64 Conn Victor 22B, and a '81 Bundy Designed By Vincent Bach. The Bundy is marked ML but there's no indication about the bore size on the Conn. My Conn 3C mouthpiece fits deeper into the Conn mouthpiece pipe than it does in the Bundy. Although the Conn sounds great in the upper register the Bundy plays better over all...in my humble opinion..........crow

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, "blood pressure"...I do have some blood pressure problems. Can you expound upon this issue?..........crow

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Billy, any particular place; "tension"?

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Vulgano, "Coffee". Very interesting. The quivering I'm referring to is the kind one seses is coming out of the horn when experiencing Stage Fright...........crow