qustion about embrouchure position

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 7, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I read this 10 page PDF ... which seems very good
    http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf

now the question
    If my face is totally relaxed my lips protude a little. So if I put my mp on that position my buzz will occur a little more inside ... we are talking a tad. The good is I have more cushion between my mp and teeth. The bad the inside of the lip could sneak in and give that horrible duck sound. The good there is more lip to curl in when getting up to the upper register and I don't seem to need to curl it very much at all. The bad ... it's easier to pinch the note. The good (well maybe good) instead of feeling like I have to push the mp in I feel like I am just bring the lips closer together (sort of clamping)
    I think the reason I have "buzzed" or curled a little is because the tone seems more crisp.
    I am asking because if this is wrong I could really screw my chops up.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm going to read the article after I respond (it's 10 pages! :D). My first inclination is to leave well enough alone unless you're having real issues and then you should consult a teacher. I've read many articles about this kind of thing and most accentuate the ability to play higher without effort. I have talked with some players who have tried these methods and while they could play higher, the sound was thin and it cost them in the mid to low registers (where most play 90% of the time). One guy complained about it to the originator of his "method" in a blog and the response was "The only purpose in his method was for playing high notes"! There was no "try this", you're doing this wrong" just a, "high notes rule" mentality. This guy poo-pooed the "normal" way to develop the embouchure (practice/endurance). You are correct in that you can screw up what you got. I'm not against innovation, just as long as it is well guided.

3. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    The 19/30 exercise was presented on the TH site and has received very good reviews. It is not about high notes (although you might get a few); it is about relaxed playing with a full sound. Worth the read. I practice this almost daily.

-John

4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks, I'll be giving this a try.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah, I will do the same.

I do not think that it would matter super much. But I do see it as a slight problem. The first thing I would do, is learn not to curl your lips too much when going high. I do a little, but it is not that noticeable to me. Now it is time to read that, and edit my post if I read something that I want to include or change something!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    coolerdave likes this.
  6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    It's very frustrating to have the magic light bulb turn on and play relaxed...then get all tensed up again. It started to happen last week. I'm still recovering from it. I hope I can purge the mental block and tightness.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with Rusty 100%. Forget all of the stuff that you have "intellectualized".

If we are spending time on the stuff that is good for us, most things evolve to a more efficient state. I have also found that lipslurs like in the Earl Irons book when played by "exhaling" get our embouchures really pointed in our own personal natural direction.

19/30. What a great description.

Now we also need the same thing for our bodies - they suffer just like our faces, we also need it for our minds - they too are overloaded with tension.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    AND in coolerdave's case, overloaded with chips!! ROFL

coolerdave likes this.
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ha

ha

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only if they are high tension chips, or his digestive tract needs relief from overload.