Rachmaninof

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by Philippe, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Dear Ed,
    Which trumpet do you use in Rachmaninof symphony no 2? I already tried the C and it seems fine. But i want to try my B flat and see how it flies. How do you go about choosing equipment especially on pieces where the Russians traditionally would play b flat? I guess i could direct it as a general question. Does it really matter that much? I wouldn't think that it does as long as it sounds right.
    Philippe

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Philippe,

I always played it on my C, but love the sound of the Bb on Russian literature. Why not give both a try, if your section is game, and report back here?

Best from LA,
    EC

3. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    b flat russian goodness

Dear Ed,
    we (trumpet section) rehearsed on our b flats today and it's a go. It'll be different, the voicing is better for b flat resonnance rather than the shimmer of a C . It's fun because i have to play like a russian (maybe not quite as loud because there arent 15 double basses.) But i really think that the concept of sound for this piece and most russian literature fits the b flat especially now since i've tried them both. I wouldn't use it however on literature such as scheherazade or tchaikowsky. I think i would be selective on Shostakovich, it would all depend on the style of the voicing. I think i would use my C on Shosti 5 but not on 1. What do you think? D trumpet for Mahler 5 anyone?
    Philippe

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Philippe,

As you mentioned, Russian orchestras are huge. That much bottom makes it fun to raise the bell.

Manny makes an excellent point in his forum -- the concept of sound comes from the player, not his/her horn. You can play like a Russian on a C trumpet but, as you identify, the overtones are slightly different on the Bb.

Do whatever works in your particular setting. That, along with playing a variety of tunes over a marathon season, is the art of playing in a symphony orchestra.

(along with getting along with violists)

(and looking spiffy in tails) (I look like a cartoon character -- MUCH better in ninja black)

Pax,
    EC