Radical Moderatism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Joey Tartell is not only a great player and teacher, he expresses himself very well.

Here is one of his recent blog posts:
    Radical Moderatism | Tartellog

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Nice article.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Moderately nice article ;-)

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice article.

The problem, of course, extends way beyond music. We like to polarize people with extremes, because it gives a reason to argue, to bully, and to feel superior.

It's unfortunate. But because of this, I doubt "radical moderatism" will catch on until we practice "radical empathy". We don't have to agree with the other guy. But we need to empathize/understand/respect where the other guy is coming from. And the more we disagree with that person, the more we need show empathy towards him/her.

Mike

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that we have problems with radical because we have become emotionally too soft, intolerant of raw truth. I think the problem is more the wimp than the radical.

Just check mother nature in her purest form out. Survival of the fittest, rewards to those that can adapt. Argue with a hungry lion, explain why it is unfair.......... You need pretty good arguments, or strong legs. The lion is never wrong.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    (tongue-in-cheek warning)

At the risk of sounding too extreme ... ;-)

Hasn't "survival of the fittest" been redefined by modern scientists? Open competition is believed to result mutual destruction, not survival of the fittest. In nature, a cooperative and adaptable species (dare I say "moderatism") has a greater chance of survival than a selfish and competitive species. ;-)

Mike

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, "survival of the fittest" has been raped by the same type of ANALysts that helped the banks and politics in all directions crash. The idiocy is that it is possible to look at short term suppression and call that success or being "fitter". The truth is that only when the victim happens to die short term do the suppressors get away with it.

Selfish is not fit, it builds enemies. Competitive CAN be healthy. Lions do not kill one another over food unless something else is terribly wrong.

As applied to the trumpet, you have to produce the goods if you are going to have an attitude. A teacher with an attitude will have no students if they get beaten up and don't get better........... A teacher with an attitude passes that attitude on when things work. I am not a first generation "ass".