Rafael Mèndez

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jul 29, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Have any of the trumpetplayers on this forum ever met Mr. Rafael Mèndez in person? And if so: what was he like?
    `
    Robert

2. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Goodmorning, when I was a teenager, I met him when I tried out and won a spot in a western states all star band.He seemed to be a soft spoken,gentle man with a hispanic accent.What I really remember is the way he played the trumpet.He also gave me his autograph on the program from the concert.----Gary

MJ likes this.
  3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Check out the videos on you tube. They inlude excerpts of him playing and interviews.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

As a teenager at the National Music Camp at Interlochen, Mi. I met him every day for two 2 week sessions. He was a bit difficult to understand because of his strong Hispanic accent and his VERY soft voice. As a teacher he was exceptional. As a conductor, very precise. As an example of all that a man, father, husband, teacher,and musician could possibly be, he was the epitomy.

OLDLOU>>

MJ likes this.
  5. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Wow you guys met Mendez? How lucky. Do you have any pictures of him or maybe his autograph? I for one think he's one of the most powerful virtuosos to live, and still can't be matched today by most trumpeters.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    any body that knows him or has read about him would realize how much work he put into perfecting each piece he played. the songs he made look so easy he had actually practiced hours, sometimes days on getting right. Dave

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I read somewhere the other day that his students wouldn"t get to touch a trumpet for two months.The first month would be spent buzzing the lips,and the second month would be buzzing the mouthpiece.

8. trmptr

trmptr Pianissimo User

May 10, 2005
    Bemidji, MN
    I was never lucky enough to meet him, but I did spend an afternoon in his home in Encino, CA, met his wife, and spent time with both his twin sons. They are great, generous people. My mother met Mendez at the South Dakota high school all state band. She was recognized for being a 4-yr allstater and Mendez was the soloist. She was called upfront to the stage and Rafael kissed her hand. It was a story that she loved to tell and one of the most inspiring moments of her musical career! He was always a perfect gentleman, a practice-aholic :-) and a generous human being.

9. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I'm very proud of the fact that I met him in 1964 when he was on tour and stopped in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada. In the afternoon he presented a 'masters class' for band members from all over the province who were attending his concert later that day. That evening he played his concert to a packed house. After the class I went to have him autograph some of his music that we played and he was more than pleased to talk and spend time with high school musicians. He as a gentleman, very friendly and a fantastic player! I am proud to say I now play an Olds Mendez trumpet!

This is one of the pieces I asked him to sign

[​IMG]

10. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006