Rafael Mendez: The Legacy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Mar 3, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Agreed with mr. Rowuk...Vizzutti is a great inspiration. His clinic videos on youtube are a great starting point. The rare Mendez videos on youtube are also wonderful.

What I enjoy most about the Mendez videos is his encouragement to play a little bit...then play a little bit more until the most of a single breath is utilized.

The Vizzutti clinic videos show that it's important to practice articulations by listening...Have you ever noticed playing a triple tongue exercise sometimes sounds like real triples...and other times sounds like muddy slop? I like how the Vizzuti clinic video encourages players to truly listen to what is coming out of the horn.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Brother Bach, That's the idea. We talk about practicing, but never really talk about what that means. For technique it means training which means drilling the muscles/ desired behavior. When the technique is solid than we can make music which is a whole nother study.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks Bob,

I find that my efforts are being rewarded and I am no longer in the funk that I was about the issue. The difficult arpegio has gone from "hit-or-miss" to "mostly hit". I also recorded myself and discovered the slop I hear in my head is not what I actually sounds like. There is still some time away from the performance so I will keep drilling the phrase, slowly increasing the metronome. It is a new expperince to have such a small thing take up so much time to ensure that it comes out right.

BrotherBACH