Ragdoll Aerosmith Jazzy isnt it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 13, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i was just playing guitar hero aerosmith. the song ragdoll is one of my favorites. not for the guitar hero but for the actual instrumentation for the trumpet, sax and trombone. i think it almost sounds like a jazz band could very easily play it. anybody else have the same thought nd second if i wanted to how i would i go about figuring out the trumpet music for it?

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    IMO it's silly to play rock songs for jazz bands. You'd learn way more playing jazz songs, and sound better playing jazz songs unless you're REALLY solid and bring something new to the rock song. The Bad Plus and Brad Mehldau are the only two bands who really really make something great out of a rock song that I can think of.

How would you go about figuring it out? Listen and play along. Over and over

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Play anything and everything. The more music that you make, the better you will get. I really like crossover between styles and tradition.

Over the centuries mankind has learned that monoculture is dangerous. Entire pine forests got wiped out, french grapes got infected (California bailed them out by sending fresh vines - the french then grafted their grapes to the healthier vines). Miles playing Miles is cool. When Wayne Bergeron plays Miles, I want something fresh, new. I don't need a Maynard clone. I need someone to take the ball that he started rolling and run with it. Every performance should be a rebirth of spirit - with the new combination of genetics taking us where we have not been before.

RHS, just make sure that Guitar Hero is not your "soul" source of inspiration!!!!!!

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I say go for it. The jazz standards were the pop songs of their day. Aerosmith have their roots in the blues - Steve Tyler is a pretty decent cross-harp player.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    the more music venues you listen to and learn the better musician that you become. [ IMOHO]. I like some of just about everything, just never could get into the head banging stuff. enjoy and learn.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with the "play anything and everything" sentiment, but I've never been a fan of jazz bands (particularly nigh school jazz bands) covering rock tunes. Maybe it just a personal preference, but I think jazz bands should be more interesting than that. I'd leave the rock covers to pep band or marching band...

7. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    One of the High School marching bands here played it last year (in the stands). Sounded great too.

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    It is too bad for rock and roll, so much that could have been played by sectional brass was substituted by the electric keyboard/synthesizer. Not all fell into this, I wish Led Zep featured more brass. The Rolling Stones featured a lot of brass. John Entwistle played french horn for the Who when he wasn't playing bass. All rock bands touched into brass, when they were willing to pay the musicians in the studio, and every "rock" band has delivered a taste of jazz. My favorite, Lynyrd Skynyrd "Call Me The Breeze" .... put that in your iPod and smoke it. Billy Powell, the piano player passed away not long ago, and he is missed. He was a real "Street Survivor" and a talent that is recognized all over the world.

Aerosmith is full of jazz. Rock that trumpet!

9. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc

Maynard would certainly disagree here. He had a resurged career - much in part by doing just this...revamping rock/pop tunes with his "jazz" band. Chase was another one...though, not by revamping, admittedly.

Point being...like many have said here already...if this or any other tune moves you and you want to do something inventive with it...DO IT!!! You may not always hit a home run...but you will have fun and get better in the process.

Listen to other examples of like styles...where horns are being used... and see if you can come up with something! Another alternative might be to commission an established arranger to write something for you.. Doesn't have to be a well known cat...heck, find someone who is maybe trying to break in or just happens to be adept at arranging in your area (or anywhere).

Go for it!!! Sounds like fun to me....

10. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Last Night, one of those public TV stations aired a concert, Chris Botti and friends, with the Boston Pops. Several guest appearances performed with Chris, including Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. Stevens parents were there in the front row, and he sang "Smile", a song recorded in 1954 by Nat King Cole. He dedicated the song to his dad. It was very touching. I recommend you check your tv schedule; I'm sure it will air again soon. The whole concert is very much worth watching!