"Ragging" for refinishing?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ML52K, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. ML52K

    ML52K New Friend

    Dec 7, 2003
    I am working on cleaning up an older Ambassador. On Roy Lawler's web page, there is a picture of him "ragging" a horn to remove excess solder.

    Can anyone tell me what this cloth material is and where it can be purchased?

    I did send an email to Roy, but did not get an answer back--I'm sure he is busy, and I'm not comfortable flooding him with emails to ask what I feel is a trivial question.

    I'm looking for a way to clean out old lacquer and tarnish in the hard to get ringed areas around the valves and valve tubes.

    Thanks in advance for your answers.
  2. Trumpet Hobo

    Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

    Aug 14, 2005
    What does "ragging" mean anyways?
  3. tom turner

    tom turner Mezzo Forte User

    Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA

    My understanding has always been that "ragging" is simply another term musicians and technicians use for polishing a silver horn.

  4. oldlou

    oldlou Forte User

    Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Ragging solder away.

    The commonly accepted use of a rag to whip away excess solder is just for that purpose only. When the solder is still hot enough to be liquid it can be whipped away with any old smooth surfaced cotton or linen rag that does not have such large holes as to allow molten solder to come through and contact tender skin. The rag has no other purpose. Woolens and synthetics don't work very well and stink like the dickens when in contact with the hot, molton solder.

  5. ML52K

    ML52K New Friend

    Dec 7, 2003
    Here's a picture from Roy Lawler's web site (I hope.)


    In particular, I would like to learn what this material is and where I can obtain some of this.

    Roy himself referred to this picture as "ragging to remove excess solder" in an earlier incarnation of his web site, if my memory serves me well enough.

    I was hoping that Roy might see this picture and make a comment, as my earlier email did not draw his attention (or was maybe filtered.)
  6. CGUM

    CGUM Pianissimo User

    Aug 5, 2005
    If you're just looking to remove tarnish then I would just use one of those polishing cloths from like selmer or blitz or whatevers. Cut that ino a strip to get in between the posts and valves. What Roy is doing is something I wouldn't do unless you're an experienced tech or apprenticing under a builder you can over do it and once it's done you can't go back.

    Sorry if I rained on your parade. I would talk to a local tech and ask him some questions.

  7. Robert Rowe

    Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

    Dec 24, 2004
    I suppose you could call anything "ragging".

    Most of you that posted here are incorrect, technically speaking -- although Tom Turner is "in-the-ballpark".

    "Ragging" is using a length of cloth, typically "wicking" (strips of muslin, or cheesecloth can work, but not as well). The cloth is impregnated with buffing compound, or rouge. It is used to polish (by hand) in small areas such as between valve casing, braces and ports. (Where one cannot access with the buffing wheel).

    I get mine from Ferree's. They have "Ragging Tape", sold in 25 and 100 foot rolls.

    Robert Rowe

Share This Page