Rain Dates

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 31, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was hired to sub with a band last Sunday and it rained so the job was put off until tonight (Thursday) I got a call from the trumpet player that hired me and he said that he could make the job now so he would play it.

This has never happened to me before. I always thought if you reserved a date that you either hold the rain date or get to try and play if there were no prior arrangements.

I just said OK but I still don't think it's the right thing to do.

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    While I don't do pay for $$ gigs, I would imagine that you should be paid regardless. You set aside time out of your schedule to do a gig. Not your fault that the rain delayed it. You should get paid and the trumpeter that asked you to sub (if he is the one paying) should pay you.

ETA: Nothing is more important to me than my time. I despise instances when it is wasted.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, that's not the right thing to do. If you could make the rain date also, you should be allowed to play it. I was on the other end of a similar situation about a year ago. I couldn't make a gig with my band, so my spot was filled by a sub, who attended our rehearsals for the next few weeks. A week before the gig, my plans changed and I was available. What did I do? I went to the concert as a member of the audience.

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wow Dale,

That was a classy move!

I have nothing to add to this thread as I don't do paid gigs yet; I'd like too!

I guess I'd have to agree with Dave and Dale for sure; makes sense to me.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's another one. I was playing 4th trumpet in the local symphony orchestra. I had been 3rd for a few years, but was "re-auditioned" (that's a whole other story) to 4th slot when a new union guy moved to town. The orchestra was about 80/20, non-union/union makeup. Anyway, there were some local vs. out-of-town union member problems brewing, which resulted in a strike. This not only caused Doc to cancel as the guest artist for the next concert (what a bummer!), but also bumped me temporarily back to 3rd part, as I was not "union".

So we begin rehearsals for the "revised" next concert, and I asked "What happens if the strike is settled before the concert?" I was told in no uncertain terms that I was the 3rd for the next gig, no matter what. Guess what? The strike settled about a week before the concert and guess who's on 3rd (no, this isn't that old Abbot & Costello bit)? Not me! Guess who's not even playing the concert anymore? Me, 'cause thare aren't any 4th parts in any of the pieces. Yes, I was paid for the rehearsals, but it still stunk. It was my last check from the orchestra, as I resigned shortly after.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I would think if you are planning to sub and have put in rehearsal time for a gig you should get paid whether you play the gig or the regular decides to play the gig.

At a minimum, the regular should ask you what you think is the fair thing to do if he ever wants to use your services again.

Just because musicians aren't paid well doesn't give them the right to 'stiff' people.

Greg

PS - Unions suck, don't they?

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This guy calls me a lot so I'm not going to say anything and I didn't go to any rehearsals but I did save a date that didn't happen.

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Did he offer to pay you when you agreed to sub for him?

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

No I am never paid by the other trumpet player.
    I am paid by the band leader or orchestra as if I were a member.

The trumpet player hired me and then called the band leader and told him, "I can't make the job but, I have a sub."

10. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    And is it a safe bet that you did not get paid?

If you didn't get paid, that is BS. You set aside your time and made a commitment to play. I would imagine had you been offered an inside gig that would have no chance to be rained out, or paid more you would have turned it down, since you have made a commitment already.

The player that asked you to play should see that you are compensated.

I think I have related this story once before here, but I remember in college a guy setting up an Easter gig for some of my fellow brass players. A week or so prior to Easter he cancels them. Does not offer another gig, nor does he compensate them. Of course my friends had already turned down other gigs because they made a commitment. Well, they didn't get paid. I remember this clown's name to this day, and if I ever meet him I will let him know what kind of jackass he really is.

I forgive, I never forget. People like that are no better than a band of roving thugs. No ethics and no inclination to do the right thing. I would expect something like that from a politician, not a fellow musician.

Long story short,

You got screwed.

My .000000002