Random Botti/Monette Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey guys,

I have been busy practicing trumpet as I have had a lot of demand on me by my teacher that I haven't actually posted in a while.

Interesting to note, the more I am practicing the more any trumpet/mouthpiece is fine as they all sound a lot better. It is less of an issue when focusing on playing better.

Anyways,

I was browsing google and I read few places that Chris Botti started using a Monette Trumpet, or, did, or at least, has played on one.

Would anyone know if that is for sure, and if so, is there a video anywhere of him actually playing on one?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    David G. Monette Corporation

David G. Monette Corporation

I suppose the "Committee" has to eventually wear out...
    Last time he changed a mouthpiece, was to another Bach 3C made in 1920's - he is a fussy man, God Bless Him.

Trying horns, visiting shops, talking to makers at a pro level is normal. I am sure many makers would love to have their horns endorsed by Chris Botti. I could not find any clips, but surely he played some in the shop, That is what we all do, if we get the chance :-)

Chris and Dave obviously talk about horns, designs, want and needs.... love to be a fly on the wall.

Cannot find anything on Youtube.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If Chris were to play Monette, it would be on the Monette website. If it were to make him a better trumpet player, it would be on his personal site. I can imagine him trying one out somewhere and that getting undue notice. I have heard nothing from Monette about this.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just hung a bit with Chris last week. He's still playing his Martin for sure.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    With Charlie Melk around, it will "never" wear out! ;-)

6. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually the only person that works on Chris' horns is Josh Landress.

edfitzvb likes this.
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Same difference. ;-)

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Well I contacted Jason at the factory. He said Botti has been friends with Dave for 30 years. He is not aware that anyone has recorded Chris playing the Monette nor does Chris actually own a Monette.

Would be nice if Dave recorded Botti on a Monette just for the sake of it... wonder if he would.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    why? Chris would need time to get into the substantially different response. I am not even sure that a mouthpiece that works with a vintage Martin, could even be in tune on a Monette.

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm pretty sure Chris is completely happy with his setup, especially after talking to him a few weeks ago.