Random questions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    From time to time I get a buzz when playing.... I'm not talking from my lips, but I mean from the trumpet itself. It reminds me a lot of when you play a certain note on the trumpet and it causes some object in the room to resonate. Except that it happens on quite a few notes in the middle register. It started happening when I switched to my Bach 5B mouthpiece. It was fine today, but if it starts happening again, is there any quick fix?

Additionally, manipulation of the 1st valve slide bothers me. Maybe it's because I'm mildly autistic (causes difficulties in coordination) but I have a hard time pulling the slides with absolute ease so that it does not interfere with my playing to some extent. It is worst on the high A (top of the staff), where more effort is required to play it than other notes like F and low E. The problem seems to be more getting the slide back IN, as it sometimes will not go back in all the way, and so I have to force the last little bit of slide in. Any advice on getting it to "spring" back more perfectly? I admit I haven't greased it as much as I should, but I did so last week, and I do put oil on it fairly regularly, too.

Thanks.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Solution to problem 1, sounds like a leak. Check your spit valve corks.

Solution to problem 2, get a trigger. I have one and I love it.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Ah, I have a bad spit valve spring (it broke, though normally the corks stay where they should; however, the corks are also very soggy and gray) But it's actually not what I was talking about, or at least I don't think? Still, I think I ought to replace both the spring AND the cork.... any advice on replacing the corks? And the spring for that matter? I'm not good at fixing things, so maybe I should leave it to a repair shop, but if someone knows fairly easy alternatives....

What is a "trigger"? Explain?

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Perhaps you are pulling out the first slide too far.

I can only suggest that perhaps a spring is vibrating somewhere. Could be in the valve --- this happens to my second valve, vibrating spring, from time to time, which creates a "buzz".

kingtrumpet likes this.
  5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Send it to a tech, they can do it in about 5 minutes. No good quick fixes, just get it replaced.

A trigger is a thing that when you push it a bar goes and pushes the slide out. There is a spring so it jumps back into place. You just push forward. I can post a better picture tomorrow but here is my horn. On the 1st valve slide you will see it.
    [​IMG]

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I had the same problem with a vibration until I discovered that my first valve slide saddle had bent and was slightly touching the first valve casing. I bent the saddle back and have had no problem with it since.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    A repair shop will replace both corks for about $10. Go ahead and do that if you can to eliminate the resonant " buzz ". Some 1st valve thumb saddles are awkward to use for me because they are straight up. The ones that are tilted left " toward my left hand " are much easier for me to move because of the natural movement of my thumb at that angle. Example is a Yamaha Xeno is easy with its' tilted thumb saddle ( ring ) and a Bach Strad is hard for me. The repair shop can tilt your saddle for another $5 I bet. Be sure to use valve oil on the 1st valve slide so that it moves faster.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I agree the triggers seem easier to use and not bouce the horn. While you are having the sprign replaced by the tech have them check out the slide. ... sounds like it needs adjusting.
    Also make sure you use slide grease and not valve oil on the slide. It can catch if you use valve oil.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    When a horn buzzes like crazy but the tone isn't lost, in my experience it has always been due to a slide being loose. On my Calicchio the 2nd slide is loose and buzzed when I play 2nd valve notes. A customer of mine brought in a horn to chem clean and tune up, and he came back the next day saying that his horn didn't sound right since the cleaning. It turns out that because I cleaned the build up from his horn, the 1st slide was loose and was vibrating if he didn't make sure his thumb was properly seated in the saddle. To fix this I slightly expanded the inner slide and used a heavier grease to fill the gap.

Play chromatically slowly until the horn buzzes. Find which note it is and play that note so the horn buzzes and then with your left hand touch the slide in places to see if it stops.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Another way to handle that A above the staf that is always a bit sharp is to extend the third valve slide and play that A with the third valve instead of with 1&2.

OLDLOU>>