Random questions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Feb 6, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I wanted to suggest the same but you beat me to it. I have been using a 3rd valve A more often lately. I am finding it easer to slot on from certain approaches and definately for make upper A shakes easier to play.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  2. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I've tried 3rd valve A before, but it is WAY flat. And who on earth would need to trigger the 3rd valve slide in addition to that?! =P It seems most people are lucky enough to either have the 12 combination or the 3 combination naturally in tune, but alas, neither of those apply to me....

Thanks coolerdave for that idea about not using valve oil on the slides. I think that may be the issue. I now realize the problem roughly coincides with when I started using valve oil due to laziness of not wanting to grease it. =O And, yes, I recognize what a trigger is now, (just didn't know their title) because I know many flugal horns use those.

Thanks for the other advice, too.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting as the intonation tend to be better with the A above staff played with the third valve on my Olds Recording. I know rowuk would state (and is likely correct) this is just a mind game, but mind game or not, my 3rd valve A above staff is in better tune on this horn when it is in my hands. I do agree the A in the staff is out of tune with the third valve option.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You only need to practice more. That is the only quick fix. The buzz goes away and your intonation gets better. Objects in the room resonating is cured by removing them from the room that you practice in.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Try some Ultra Pure slide grease on the 1st slide and you will probably like the result. The problem with using just oil is that allows the slide to "cock" a little bit - the bottom part doesn't move but the top does a little, and that makes it jam. Ultra Pure is very slippery, but fills the space between the tubes better and will help resist the racking or twisting you get with oil.

It does help to not extend it too far, as Mark wisely suggests.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Me too, especially when holding out high notes for many, many measures... kind of a groovy fealing man.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Are you sure thats not the gin and tonic?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cody, I rarely drink when I play, only after the playing, and Eddie is driving the van back to Dayton.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I didnt think you did. I know your a responsible adult and I think it would be kinda hard to play after a few drinks.