range and endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim trpt1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    I have been pretty much idle for around 10 years, I have started my comeback 6 weeks ago.Everything has been fine until this last week, my endurance has taken a nose dive and I have lost some on my range. I am playing on a schilke 16c2 and thinking of going to 16b4.
    I was up to about 4 hrs a day with long breaks between each 20 min session. I know this will take sometime, I am 52 and don't expect a whole lot right off, but I have hit a major wall, my sound is great, but I am worried I might have hurt something. Is losing endurance and range common at this stage?:play:

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    thats normal, take a day off, or two days off

do not change your MPC yet

3. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Been there done that:

Two key points I would suggest:

1. Patience

2. Do not and I mean do not be too critical of yourself.

Took me months to get this into my head only because my memory of the way I use to play as a young man was at the forefront of my mind.

Now!! I have exceeded what I use to do and I am enjoying so much what I yet have to learn.

Welcome to the site.

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Yes.

As long as you do not feel pain, you are likely experiencing fatigue, not injury. I disagree that you should take time off. That's not the worst thing you could do, but I think your recovery will come sooner if you continue to play. Cut back on your playing time, and play in the low register at reduced volume. Work your way back slowly. This is how athletes manage recovery (cut way back but CONTINUE activity) and I think there are parallel benefits for musicians experiencing physical fatigue from playing.

This is my opinion only. It has worked for me as an athlete and musician.

5. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like you are practicing too much for your level. I'd direct some of your 4 hours to studying music or listening, but not blowing the horn.

6. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    I appreciate all the input, things are progressin much better,I pulled out the claude gordon,it has helped tremendously.:play:

7. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010

I'd second that. I'm in the same boat as you, same age etc. Maybe listen to some players that you really admire - Youtube is nice because in some cases you can see what the player is doing!

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    This is one of many fits and starts to the game. 4 hours a day for a 6 week comebacker is, in all sincerity, too much face time. Perhaps 4 hours every once in a while, but this is just a lot of playing. Chops are delicate creatures and the mistake I've made over my 3 year comeback is treating them like reeds or a harmonica. I'll echo the other comments, but to the point, if range and endurance take a powder, focus on exactly the opposite. The Gordon method is good for that. Many are. Play softly and take it easy. Even piano strings can wear out!

ed

9. vidrata

vidrata New Friend

May 12, 2007
    Bulgaria,Sofia
    Hey friends , I have a little problem :( I stop playing for 2 and a half mount's and I am a little confused... I don't know how to start playing because I lose the most thing in the practice like - endurance , range and any importent think in this way...I play for 10 years and I don't know how to start my routine now ! Sorry for my English ...

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi jimtpt1.
    You are just starting back and you're practicing up to 4 hours a day?
    Whew! slow down!! Where's the fire?
    --
    Cut back some. here's what one of the top trumpet players recommend. Notice that he probably does 3 hours but about an hour will work just fine and notice that its the QUALITY not the QUANTITY that matters.
    Here goes:
    Wynton Marsalis Practice Tips
    Three hours will allow you to cover all aspects of playing, but 45-60 minutes is enough for one sitting. The quality of the practice is more important than the length of time it takes.

Practice has several basic objectives: sound, slurring, tonguing (single, double, triple), phrasing. The Arban book [Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (Cornet), published by Carl Fischer, 192.] is set up that way.

Try to get as rich and pure a sound as you can -- an "unbrassy" sound, the kind with no metal in it. Louis Armstrong is a good example. His sound is really bright, but not brassy. It has a core that is warm. During the first 15-20 minutes play long tones, soft, from second line G down to low G. For the next 30-45 minutes work with pages 5 and 6 in the Max Schlossberg book [M. Baron, publisher], varying the dynamics and the tempos. Try to play through every slur, getting an even, round sound on every note, and getting over the breaks in the instrument. Also, exercises 59 and 60 in the Schlossberg book are good to strengthen your lips.

Take a break.

Use the Second Study (page 8) in the Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies [Carl Fischer]. Work on velocity, with a metronome, in major and minor keys. Slur some, tongue some, and double tongue some. Also work on the "kah" syllable. Go straight up the scale, starting with the middle C (exercise 32). In the Arban book there is a series of exercises to work on your single tongue attack. Number 19 on 28 is especially good. Try to get a nice round attack with some "pop" in it.

Then you can open an etude book. Theo Charlier: Etudes Transcendantes [Leduc] is good for advanced players, or the Arban book for others. Do some double/triple tonguing exercises. That's another hour on tonguing.

Take a break.

Now deal a little more with slurring, but not too much; you don't want to kill yourself. Work out of a book like Advanced Lip Flexibilities [Charles Colin, author and publisher]. Then do some phrasing exercises out of the Arban book.

Finally, play some characteristic studies from Arban, or etudes from Charlier or Schlossberg. When you play these etudes, or any exercise, always go straight through without a stop the first time. Then go back and practice the places you had difficulty. Play everything -- no matter how trivial or trite it might be -- with dynamics and sound and musical expression.