Range and Horn Tilt

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Discovered today that certain notes above the staff for me can only come out when the horn is tilted slightly more down (enter: reinhardt) This was accidentally discovered, but I noticed it's just plain easier to play, from strain to riding the air... thought I'd share, though I'd bet this is news to few. Also curious as to whether this could prevent me from playing any gigs because of "aesthetic" reasons?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Johnny B.

Johnny B. New Friend

Jun 25, 2012
    Pivot? If you've spent any time doing lip slurs or octave jumps, you probably had to pivot (bell goes down as you go up, assuming you're a downstream player) to execute it. The pivot becomes somewhat minimized as you gain more strength and flexibility in your chops, and then your lips take over the bulk of the work. It might also have to do with the shape of your teeth. The bell of my horn is never pointed straight away from my face, and I always pivot despite having pretty strong chops. And "no", this should never prevent you from getting work, "aesthetic" or otherwise.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Not for aesthetic reasons but for projection, bell down means the audience hears you less. I have the same problem, I've always countered by doing a little showmanship on a note that I need to pivot at a gig. In the practice room I do it like you do.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    IMO if you have to pivot the horn to play higher then the horn is not at the correct angle to begin with. The old myth of having to blow high in the mouthpiece to play low and low to go high comes to mind, or is it the other way round.

I am a downstream player, not helped by having a full upper denture, our band director has been at me to lift my horn, I have tried to play with my lower jaw extended but this causes it to ache in short order. I tell him I will play my horn horizontal when he does the same with his clarinet.

One of these days I will bend a mouthpiece to see if that improves matters.

Regards, Stuart.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stuart, the bent mouthpiece trick seems to work for some, one of our 1st chair players uses exactly that set-up and I sincerely wish I could emulate his sound.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I heard in a video of Chris Botti in one of the threads posted here, that Chris mentioned droping his pinky finger on his grip that he learned in observing Wynton, that led to an increase in his range.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can easily compensate with a Getzen 900H Tilted bell trumpet! ;-)

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    paul merkelo - Bing Images
    This picture is of Paul Merkelo, principal trumpet in the Montreal Orchestra. Needless to say, but I will anyway, he has no range issues.
    Someone here please tell him he needs to change his horn angle or get a bent mouthpiece for projection.
    Did you ever notice how Maynard would lean back a little to get his horn level? That was just one of the reasons for his once in a lifetime power with range.
    Rich T.

9. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Everybody has some sort of tilt or pivot when they play. For some its barely visible, for others its flag waving. How it looks is irrelevant. Best bet is to discover what yours is and take advantage of it ( Reinhardt calls it a pivot, Pocius calls it a playing arc, Caruso had name for it but talked about it and used timing and counting to control it. Its not something to worry about, its something to exploit

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yeah and what did Maynard have to show for it? Oh wait, a career that completely changed the game for trumpet that was filled with success. Do what works, not what is supposed to work.

mgcoleman likes this.