Range and Horn Tilt

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, I was just wondering -- you see so many lead players that play high G's with the horn straight out, sometimes you wonder. Great advice though -- thanks! Much appreciated

2. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    Check out the book New Approach to Altissimo trumpet Playing by John Lynch. He talks about horn angle quite a bit.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It seems that your concern was aesthetic. I've seen players who look like they're playing the clarinet, the horn is so far down, and the applause never falls short. Hell, Miles played half the time with the horn pointed at the ground and he was the highest paid dude with a mpc on his chops for quite sometime.

I really believe that you have to be your own teacher and take what you learn from EVERYwhere, not just Reinhardt or Shew or Ferguson. Experiment, do what works. Once you make a change and the results are better, then that's a better direction to go in. Example: I've been told by many, many colleagues that you have the same range despite the mpc size. Yeah, I can eeke out a high G on a 1C, but I'm done in a minute. The other day I popped in a very small (for me) Giardinelli 10S and out popped a double C. I didn't like the sound much in the rest of the register, but there it was. Do what works for you. Who cares what angle you have?

ed

ed

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO a lot of players just develop a habit of pointing their instruments downward caused by reading the music on the stands directly in front of them. Any EMT or Doc will tell you a slight tilt of the head backward opens the airway of the throat more ... voila ... easier air flow and more projection. I liked it best when we had to double on the stands and the trumpets were positioned to the right of the conductor (he was facing us) thus if I was to the left of the stand I could flip my eyes between the music and conductor and hold my trumpet dead ahead and up to the side of the stand. Too, I've observed more vertical right forearms of those that curl their fingers to key notes than those that flat finger the keys.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, when you've a mic on your horn, it wouldn't much matter about projection if you turned and faced backward at times. You just accomodate however to whatever situation you're playing at.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    aesthetically?? ---- well let me as you this question young Mark!! ---- aren't you a handsome enough guy (at least at your young age before hair grows out your nose) that your handsome youthfulness will fully offset your AWKWARD holding of the trumpet????