Range as a Senior in High School?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aaronwoolley1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    My teacher always tells me that my range is better than most people in high school/college, but I don't believe him, because there are A LOT of people out there, and I've seen some really good ones. What is the average range of a High School/College Trumpet player?

(My range is pedal notes to a double C, but consistently double A's and B's)

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In high school I never played anything that went above high C.

Tom

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, you have a wonderful range and probably better than most. My question in return is do you sacrifice tone quality in getting there. We need to have the same sound on the bottom as we have on the top.

4. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Stop fretting about your range! You play very well and if you keep it up you will play better than most. Focus on MUSIC!!

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

There are times (here on T/M) when if we believed everything we read, that one would infer that every trumpet player in high school has a Double C just like Maynard... This isn't meant to poke fun of the kids but merely to notice the emphasis upon range.

Yet its OK to stress range as a legitimate goal. Had I not worked on my range (and endurance) back when i was a pup my career never would have developed.

And I don't mind reading the brag shares here either. Heck that was how I used to be. That said we rarely hear about someone boasting at how well IN TUNE he accurately blows a High C.

But as far as this question goes: "What kind of range should I expect to have in high school"???

I was in the audience watching DCI over at Stanford stadium a few weeks ago. Out of the whole pack of some perhaps 20+ bugle corps and possibly 500 trumpet players altogether I heard maybe just a half dozen High F's and possibly 2 to 3 High G's. No Double C's at all. Seems like everything went just fine and dandy without there being any serious Brisbois clones.

I'd say that the most important concern (about high range) for a young trumpet player is to

A. Play from the heart. Be an ARTIST, not just a showman.

B. Avoid over training.

C. Know your limits and stay within them most of the time.

The most important point about playing high notes is playing them with musicality. Granted at first you might not succeed in producing satisfactory tones. It takes practice. Marching bland is great for this: It isn't very musical and at least in practice no one much minds a few screw ups ie "clams". Best to play loudly to develop the BLOW and confidence.

However once over that initial hump you might want to set some fairly tight standards for yourself.

Despite being naturally gifted to the extreme some of the best advice available to the average trumpet player came from Maynard Ferguson himself. I especially promote his views on THE STANCE

(here: Maynard Ferguson Clinic: 02. The Stance - YouTube)

That and his thoughts on breathing.

sometimes we think

"yeah big deal so Maynard promoted the proper stance. What does that matter? I need chops?

But after I tried his stance concept I realized that it aided my

Endurance

Accuracy

Power.

One last thought which also came from Maynard (and only loosely quoted):

"your upper register includes only those notes that you can play romantically"

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    GijsVis and DaTrump like this.
  7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Forget your range, its no big deal. But for your range, that was my range in high school. I really wish I could have went to the C but I didnt and I took a break. Now it is not that anymore....

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The average range of a high-school student is loud and out of tune.

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I should offer a disclaimer up front: I define the range a player owns as the lowest and highest notes a player can produce in musical manner with good tone, in tempo and in the context of the music (expression). I do not count notes that can be produced only in a practice setting.

So, speaking strictly along the lines of high school students with whom I have worked, I would estimate A to Bb to be the average upper limit of the range they own in a performance setting. That's only my experience and accounts for players from 1st chair in the top bands to the last chair in the lower band (the high school at which I volunteer has two bands). If I had to make an estimate on a subset consisting just of players from the top band, B to high C is probably what they average player owns in a performance setting. A smaller subset of the top 3-4 players in the top band all probably own Eb to E.

If you are consistently playing double A's and B's musically, with good tone and in tempo, well done and I would tend to agree with your director.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's only jsut on topic but I play both Trumpet and Cornet and for eighteen months or so I have been concentrating more on Cornet. I'm from a slightly backward country area of the UK and If I don't play Brass Band I don't get a lot of playing out. However a change of teacher and I'm now "A trumpeter that plays cornet twice a week" picking the trumept up again my range has gone from a comfartable C above the stave (sorry I get confused between the terminology so I'm making it simple) to now playing the G above that comfortably and even C above that with a bit of a squeek (not a note I would use but it is there) For range building play a cornet, now bring on the critics it has just happened that way for me.