Range as a Senior in High School?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aaronwoolley1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    .... naw, never mind

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    We'll let MA stick to Hora Stacatto and Brandenberg.

It's great to be a monster player in high school. It is super exciting. It gets better and better as you get older, but there is always a better guy out there. Always.
    BUT, get ready... because there are tens of thousands of high schools. All the monster players from all thise schools are going to end up in any of the hundreds of colleges out there with you. You won't be the only high G in town.
    But, get ready... when you graduate, all the best players in college keep playing professionally. Along with all the best players that graduated last year, the year before, going back dozens and dozens of years. When you get out here, everyone can play.

I'm not knocking you.. but you haven't won the trophy yet. When you have made your living playing your horn for the last 35 years... then come back here and post all about it, and say a kind word to the 17yo kid with a G.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    When I was playing with the Brooklyn Philharmonic, I had the pleasure to work with Sergei Nakarakov. He was about 15 years old and couldn't play a double c:cool:

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    whoaaaaaaa - you are step away from tripple C

are you maynard reincarnated?

5. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    FUNNY !! I know exactly which Kurt you are talking about. Actually, my co-hort in college was far better than Kurt imagines himself to be! (LMAO)

6. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I know me being just a comeback senior im not the most eligible to give you advice. We are both possibly the same age, but here it is.... Just like several others said, range is NOT everything. I sit next to a 2nd chair trumpet in band who can really nail high notes. I know because he will take the last note up the octave or add stingers whenever he can (which gets on my nerves but oh well). His range is much better then mine.. But heres the kicker: Im 1st chair, his huge range and 200 dollar lead piece hasn't beaten me yet. You are good though, don't get me wrong. But this is how I look at being a first chair in any large ensemble, its like being rank one in your senior class. Every year thousands of schools have there own
    valedictorians, all of them are smart but just in the USA over 5,000 new ones pop up every year. Ontop of that, the previous years rank 1s are out there too. AND ONTOP OF THAT.... All other countries keep spitting out valedictorians one way or another every year also. Thats like 100,000+ people possibly as smart as the smartest guy in my class. This applies to being a good trumpet player and everything else in life. You are definitely not alone. Its a humbling thought to me...

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Advice from an old trumpet player(myself); don't get obsessed with exceedingly high ranges. The tumpet sounds best somewhere in the middle and upper middle range. In my humble opinion, the extreme high range notes usually sound stressed.:D

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In one sense, I apologize for such a frivolous answer, yet there is (I think) quite a bit of truth to it. Had I taken the time, I would have added something like the following:

There is concept called wu wei, which is often translated as "non-doing" or "non-action." Alan Watts translated it as "not to force things." In Zen and the Beat Way he wrote:

...[O]ur word "forcing", as in a forced laugh, forcing a lock, forced behavior, forced kindness, forced love-forcing in that sense- is the opposite of wu wei. Wu wei means action in accordance with the character of the moment.

To be honest, when most of us approach range (even long beyond high-school) we approach it as a conquest rather than a part of the package of being a complete musician. We force out the high notes rather than approaching them with a relaxed yet working body.

Otherwise, it comes out loud and out of tune.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Just a thought, I'll be a freshman in college this year (technically a sophomore in their second semester but it is my first official year in college) at a school that isn't the top music school, but still a VERY good one, and out of the 10 new trumpet players, three have a good double C and four more have a good double G, js.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Believe him. He knows you better than anyone else and has a lot of experience in hear trumpet players that came before you.