Range as a Senior in High School?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aaronwoolley1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    I do have her phone number lol, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't want random dudes texting her :-P

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Aaron... You are truly a good sport... of course you realize my intent was to keep the humorous perspective going (and perhaps my humanitarian role in being an advocate for Tobylou - who is a church going man), but I agree, this is getting wierd... and I will post no more on this topic as I have my reputation to maintain....

Besides... I don't know how to text.

3. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    Thanks man! You don't know how to text?

4. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Aaron, first off, I do not have a double C, and I am a 49 year old working musician. So good work! from hearing your video's, it is clear you have a good work ethic and good instruction. I think it is significant that the director in your school is making sure that you and obviously other musicians aren't getting boxed into one category.
    I am in favor of Middle and High School students working on range, as long as it is in a melodic context, so if you can make it sing, go for it.
    My suggestion at this point is that you supplement your good work with learning as many old melodies as possible. It will be a good complement to the technical facility you have already acheived, besides making you more gig ready. Congratulations on your work so far!
    Just two questions: Who is your teacher? and now that you have graduated, where will you be continuing your studies?

Best of Luck!
    Jordan

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No... I'm all fingers!

6. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    Thank you! My directors were very good ones. I had two different ones for my main two groups. The one directing the Wind Ensemble has a masters degree at Boston Conservatory. He went as a music major (in flute and saxophone). The director for the Jazz Band is also my private teacher. Tim Saeger is a phenomenal teacher. I've studied with 4 different guys throughout my time playing trumpet. The guy I started off with was a great teacher, but only for beginners. His wife had a baby so he stopped teaching. My 2nd teacher was on his way out of the coaching job at my high school, and only taught me for about 2 months. My 3rd teacher was a guy who is ok a trumpet, but doesn't do it to make his living. He mostly uses positive encouragement to make his students better. But when you are better than your teacher you are studying from, it's hard to get better. So as soon as I got into high school I started taking from Tim. I had talent, and was 2nd best at the high school as an incoming freshman without him, but he took me to the next level in terms of playing.

My teacher is Tim Saeger. His website is currently down though. SaegerStudios.com
    I attended Mount Carmel High School
    I will be attending UCLA next year, and studying under Jens Lindemann.

7. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    you're a funny dude. Do your patients like you?

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It might be better than being all thumbs (here have an Igor, any discworld fans on here?)

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    :D

I guess Gary's off the hook.

Thanks Aaron!

Mike

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Your band is pretty darn good. I've heard worse bands from grown men. You can really play...I did see you making that constipated face while you were climbing up high. Once you master relaxation your going to be hitting those notes like Maynard.