Range Developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Bad Luck Lux

Bad Luck Lux New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson, Az.
    Hello,

Just wondering how I can improve my trumpet range. I am a senior in High School in Tucson, Arizona and I plan to march in the pride of Arizona Marching Band at the University of Arizona. Although I'll be a rookie next year, I still plan to aim for lead player status, the highest note I can hit consistently (so far) is an F above the staff. I wanna' reach that double C by next year. So, what are your tips and tricks? Excercises and Methods? Please do tell.

Much Regards,

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Worry about the G & the A first.
    Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities. The back half of the book. Watch where your tongue is.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What you would like to do and what happens are very often 2 different things. There are no tips and tricks for double C, just a bit of luck, a bit of talent and generally monitored lessons with successful players doing it. The only problem is, many of the high note teachers can squeak, but have no useful input about style. That results in teakettle practice room monsters that fall apart on stage.

My personal belief is that not all are born equal and there are many players that will NEVER be able to play double C.

It is always great to have a goal. Most of the time, range is the brainless goal.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I had a talk once with Doctor Kelly who is the trumpet teacher at A&M Commerce (they are one of the few music schools that offer a masters in music) he told me that he has rarely seen anything written for trumpet above the F above high C. Very few songs actually that high of a range, like Rowuk said, range is a brainless goal. If you have that High F, why not make it sound good?

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    High notes are just freaking awesome but unless you are intending to play in a Cuban or Salsa ensemble they aren't all that necessary. Cutting each not with precision is far more important. Focus more on sight reading and timing.

I am not a high note player but I can hit some super high notes...Simply pinch your lips tightly and make a squeaking sound...apply mouthpiece blow tons of air and you'll get light headed but hey you got that double octave sound :)

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey Lux,
    I know what you are asking seems like a general type of question ... and sadly one that is asked way too often. It is cool to be able to rip off those notes, no doubt. It just isn't a good measuring stick on your musical ability.
    Find a really good teacher before you screw up your embrouchure reaching for the stratosphere.

7. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I have a high note teacher, a player named Mac Gollehon, and I have heard him play many double C's and higher, musically, but he swears that unless you OWN triple C the musical aspect of double C is lost, you are not developed well enough to use it. That is where the tea kettle principle from Rowuk comes in.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

bad luck,
    first off -- don't listen to anyone who tells you the music is NOT written above that F above the staff. Arturo, Doc, Cat Anderson, Keith Fiala, etc didn't listen to that advice. They all made the trumpet their own. Doc has made the trumpet play any and every type of music (ie. jazz, classical, big band, etc.) -- so that is what you should do. Make the trumpet be what it can be when you play it. In other words, develop your own sound, your own style, and YES - your own range (high and low) --
    As far as high notes ---- long soft tones, scales, octave leaps for flexibility -- rest, and repeat, take your time. The high notes will develop as you practice intelligently, and get the proper breathing, -- and the proper mindset.
    start with this guy Keith Fiala -- who has wonderful tips and also a great many youtubes that are beneficial to you and others seeking the higher range.
    Trumpet High Note Help, Trumpet Lessons Online, Beginning Trumpet Lessons, Trumpet Books,:D

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    You just proved my point King. Music is not generally written for that high of notes. They MADE it that high, have you ever heard of up the octave? Like when you see a note but play an octave higher? I own quite a few Arturo Sandoval charts and some John Faddis, I KNOW they play in that high of a range but the charts are not written that high, it just isn't practical.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have some charts that have an occasional Ab,A-DHC. Those notes are usually at the end and as kickers. Have some special music the 20th with an Ab kicker. Any advice? ;-)