Range Developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

While there are physical matters directly related to solid range production these concepts seem (to me) to be less relevant than the ATTITUDE the aspiring lead player has. To preface:

I would bet good money that very few readers of this forum even have a solid High C to my satisfaction. Think this thought over for a minute.

Very very few trumpet players have a solid, usable High C...

OK now meditate on that for a few days and ask me for some suggestions. Wait here's one:

Develop a powerful register up to High C with lots of endurance, THEN expand to High F.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That is a very good point, one that makes me want to cry in a room and practice for eight hours....

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That aspect of upper register development is so overlooked. While I'm responding, I'm playing. Just "played" a high G. Some high schooler would drool, ooh and ah. Most pro's would smile and say keep workin'.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Do we need a "post your C-E-G-DHC arpeggio" thread?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that's why God created Chest Tubes.

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Seems that a lot of young players (I'm a young player) want to play the highest of notes. I have never worried about playing supper high notes. Just worried about my sound, improvisation, scales, transcribing. I'm glad a lot of the older players realize that playing high notes isn't the most important thing.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don't think upper register development is overlooked.It's just that most players don't have much more than a E or F above high C.This is because they weren't taught by their teachers ,who weren't taught by their own teachers. It's not any harder than learning how to double or triple tongue. But if your teacher never learned to double or triple tongue ,he wouldn't be able to teach it to his students. Some think it takes years and years to develope an upper register,and still either struggle or just give up. It's not strength or using tons of air,it's the same as everything else on the trumpet,it's jusy using proper techniques.Some have to be taught how,some figure it out by themselves,the rest say they don't need range and never progress.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Just guessing here but in case you're being serious ya might want to practice less and use a shallower mouthpiece.

The reasoning being that solid lead playing is more dependent upon the reduction or elimination of over training. With a well fitted shallow piece on an experienced embouchure the need to practice just to maintain chops is reduced.

We run a fine line between staying in shape and going well over the edge into the deep end. From that point on comes a form of mental depression specific to brass players. There isn't a name for it yet and it hasn't been diagnosed. A major symptom of it is a badly twisted trumpet. From throwing horn across the room, out on the highway/off a bridge...

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    There's nothing wrong at all with trying to increase range. Just don't revolve your practice sessions around that. Focus on musicality and solid playing first. If you listen to the Top Five Scream Solos in Hollywood Films (okay, so it's only the opinion of one guy, but still!), Wayne Bergeron made that list despite only playing no higher than high F#,....well, I guess he had the high B at the end, but that didn't make the solo. He just has amazing sound and precision.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I am not being serious. I could never play for that long. My trumpet teacher did that and now he has the most peculiar embouchure. Ill take a picture later and show you what it is like.