Range Developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- that is what Al actually said --- kingtrumpet added face muscles -- cause you need that in their too in order to play high notes -- and I am betting they are all needed to play the low notes also.
    just saying with the Asymmetric - that is what I use - if someone uses something else -- then my advice is to "STAY WITH THAT MPC" if you have already had success with it, and to NOT try and go to a "cheater" or shallow mpc without having a valid reason. If the only reason to get a shallow mpc is for high notes--- then perhaps that is like the mpc -- a shallow reason, indeed. ROFL

coolerdave likes this.
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, hay!! Yes you're correct of course, but this kind of stuff is what keeps us doctors in business.

HAS ANY ONE NOTICED BY THE WAY, UNTIL THIS POST, I HAVE STATED NOTHING ON THE SUBJECT [because I kinda agree with Rowuk and Richtom].

Little paranoid tobylou8. That's OK 'cause I have medicine for that too. Thanks again TM for drummin up the business with all us docs on TM. We can use the added work. By the way, you guys here on TM do have medical insurance, right. BUT I will fix a busted bladder for a 40's vintage Martin Committee, cause that is the humanitarian that I am.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, this sounds like shallow reasoning to me. Just sayin. [Still am agreeing with Richtom and Rowuk here]

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    earth calling Doc, earth calling Doc --- hey GM, I think they both indicated that hardware IS NOT THE ANSWER to high range -- therefore switching to a shallow mpc in search of high notes is really shallow reasoning!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

wait a minute -- everybody should go and play more than 1 brass instrument Bye Bye Blackbird - Nick Drozdoff - Trumpet and Brass - YouTube

or learn how to play an Asymmetric How To Use an Asymmeric Mouthpiece - YouTube

or learn how to play a wedge Wedge Mouthpiece Demo #2 - YouTube
    the point being -- that Nick is a great player -- and can use multiple instruments, and multiple mpcs to achieve great sound --- and why??? because he knows the HOW to's of playing and isn't looking for a gimmick (mpc, horn, step ladder) to allow him to play well and play high notes. there that should answer everyones questions on hardware ROFL or create more questions ROFL or confuse doctors ROFL

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm in a band playing lead trombone and none of the trumpet players behind me know that lead trumpet is my main thing. It's a town far away from where I live. So I'm in kind of a "sleeper" position and find the things the trumpet players say and do amusing.

The guy playing lead trumpet has high notes and yet does not have a very big sound around High C. His High G and A is there although he can't really pick it off all that well. Likes to slide up to it. Claims he's an "authorized teacher" of a certain high note method (one you all would have heard of)

If I were sitting in in that trumpet section the existing lead player would be inaudible most of the time. The lead player should be as loud as the rest of the band around High C.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know KT, I was agreeing with you. Sorry you missed that.

I see the Assymetric preservation continues. Well maybe after another round of ECT, this will improve for you as well. Well maybe after another round of ECT, this will improve for you as well.

Again, welcome back to the outpatient world. Do you still wear that neat white coat that buckles in the back or did they take that piece of equipment back on your discharge from the institution?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Perhaps the best comment that anyone can give on this topic is for you to find a teacher that knows what they're doing. Not only do you have to sift through unreliable advice, but also some well intended advice may not apply to your particular embouchure formation. Everyone is different, and the solutions professionals use for range are just as varied. Just my 2 cents on that.

coolerdave likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    King,
    the reason that we buy shallow mouthpieces is to brighten up the sound. That allows us to work a bit less for that desired "cutting" sound, giving us more energy to have available for range.

What makes or breaks the use of a shallow mouthpiece is the rest - mind, body, soul, ears and brain. Cab Calloway said it best:

It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing

What good is music,
    what good is melody,
    if it aint possessing something sweet.

It aint the music,
    it aint the melody,
    theres something else that makes that tune complete.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing,
    doo-wab-di-wab doo-wab-di-wab doo-wab-di-wab doo-wab-di-wah

It don't mean a thing, all you gotta do is sing,

Makes no difference if its sweet or hard,
    you just give that rhythm everything you got.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

coolerdave likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The words of the Lord; for God's work is truly our own!

coolerdave likes this.
  10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Snooky sang this...
    "It `taint whatchya do, it's how thatchya do it"

I suppose you could change the first "do" to "buy", the second one to "play" and it would apply here!