Range Developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Amen

2. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Wow, interesting discussion. :shock:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, and the bottom line is as always ---- practice, play, learn and grow --- everyobody is different (OK gmonady is really in a different state of mind than most of the world) -- but we all play different mpcs, different horns, and have different goals. the OP wants a better high range -- and only time, persistence, and practice with the correct technique for him is the only valid solution..... everything else is just an opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. freemanfan

freemanfan New Friend

Oct 14, 2011
    Nick Drozdoff is the man, his youtube videos are impressive checkout his rendition of Summertime.
    If your going to be playing lead in a Jazz Band then you want to have enough to power and clarity to make it happen.
    But far more important is finding your sound, quality, being able to execute difficult passages but having a beautiful tone is far more important then range.
    Miles realize after playing with Diz for a while that chasing the high stuff was not his best work, but his later stuff when he focused on his tone and he knew just what to do with a note duration timing invention this is the stuff he is remembered for. The chances someone will remember a horn played beautifully is far greater then a dude that can hit he high stuff. Good Luck

5. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    I'm just surprised that a lot of horn players are so into their equipment. Oh you want to play higher? Try this mouthpiece or I play this trumpet for this, this trumpet for that. I always had the mindset of, if I practice a lot I know my tone, high notes etc will get better. I only own 2 mouth pieces. 1 trumpet .Never really got into trying to find the best horn out their (of course it is necessary once in a while . I mean if I don't care for those things does that make me a uncommitted musician? I don't know if I'm getting my point out. And if What I'm saying even makes sense. If not just ignore me: )

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    While hardware isn't the most important thing, playing on bad equipment can make an already hard job tougher. Each player has their own individual needs, and its a matter of efficiency to try to play on equipment that makes things easier for you (while maintaining a good sound of course). I wouldn't suggest a lead player to play on a Bach 1X Mouthpiece (even if it DID have the right timbre), but I'm sure there's someone can hit double C on it; doesn't mean its making the job any easier. On the same note, it's always a good idea to work on range on a variety of mouthpiece depths, so your air can work. Essentially, hardware shouldn't DEFINE your playing, but rather facilitate it.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First, I am just surprised that Kingtrumpet can actually write text.

Second, the fact that you don't care for those things [equipment] does that make you an uncommitted musician, the answer is know. The quality you just referred actually instills you to be highly successful as a musician, and what you are saying is crystal clear and right on the mark!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think you will find that a great many of the NOW famous trumpet players, started out on inferior equipment. Quite notably Louis Armstrong and Arturo Sandoval came from very poor families, and started out on used, beat up cornets. It wasn't until they were a little more famous that they were able to obtain better equipment (Trumpet Player Arturo Sandoval of Hidden Hills, California) So I think it is SAFE to say that you are OK in your assessment about equipment. I am certain that Satchmo and Arturo were able to play on "poor" used equipment, otherwise - you and I and others may have never heard of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and likewise - I am very surprised that you can read GM. Of course you still haven't been able to determine the correct words to use in a sentence -- ie. NO is not the same thing as KNOW, which is not the same thing as KNOLL --- your getting over the hill old man ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL now blame your poor English on the Aussie contingent and how they influence you --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No KT, the answer really is know. Just to know, to be aware of what it takes inside to be a great musician, is the power required to become highly successful. The answer was meant to hold philosophical value for the individual asking the question. So guadaramma, I do hope you got the meaning behind my use of know, once again, to you I think this is crystal clear. To others, this is just slush on a snow plow.