Range Developement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bad Luck Lux, Nov 13, 2011.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I've read just about this entire thread and would like to give my experience.

I can play to F over high C. I don't know that I own the F. Most of the time it's there.

I play lead in a big band. We have charts that go higher than my F. I wish I could hit the notes. Here's the question, is it required? I have the job and yet, I can't hit the notes. When it comes up, I take it down an octave. If it messes with the harmony, I have to talk to the section about lowering the other parts. I don't know if the other sections know I'm doing it. I really don't think they care.

I also play a ton of classical jobs. If I focused on the double C, what would happen to my sound? Maybe nothing, maybe something. I was in a room with Patrick Hession while he was messing around. He played up high and low and all with a good sound. I think he's the odd one but, I guess it can be done. He was sitting in a chair with almost no effort up to double C. I don't think he was using a tight stomach or tons of air. He just played like we would around the staff.

When I switched to Monette equipment I don't think I got more notes. The notes became more consistent and came out a little easier and, more "in tune".

As fare as a shallow mouthpiece, I could never play all night on my regular mouthpiece. I can get the F but, it wouldn't last. On the shallow mouthpiece, I can last forever and cut through the band. It's actually more of a V cup than shallow. I think the most important thing is that it fits.

Now that you've read my random ramble, if you come up with a way to hit the double C, please let me in on the trick.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hit the double C??? why not aim for playing it in tune, and beautifully, and in time with the rest of the band???? and also keep the high range in perspective -- you (in my opinion) can do it --- but patience, practice, persistence, and good technique, perhaps the correct equipment. Don't set you sights on just "hitting" a note -- because that is likely what you will end up with. set your sights on PLAYING the notes.

Also you never said anything about the low notes --- below low C, down to the low F# (or low F with the 3rd valve slide all the way out) -- if you can get those notes in rich full double Forte sound, and can hold them --- I think that is similiar to the type of "less is more" in the pressure for high range. Less pressure on the lips in the high range will really benefit anyone ---- (in my opinion)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The boid is flying straight. Man, you got that right. Thank goodness the pharmacists have yet to get my prescriptions wrong in the over 20 years I have been in practice. But you guys are great editors and keep me straight. Well as straight as it is possible to keep me!

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You have the job because there isn't someone around that CAN play the part where you are, but when you get out here in the real world those guys are playing lead when you are waiting tables, or playing 2nd!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    strait as a brocken arrrow ROFL ROFL --- dus that meen farm-I-zits kant spel, reed, or uze a compuuter??? ROFL ROFL

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't understand. Where do I live? In the fake world? In TV land? I don't know if I would "wait tables" in the "real world" but, I'm happy to play second.

You're too funny, "the real world".