Range difficulties

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Jan 19, 2011.

1. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to look into this stuff.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    My question for the OP-what is your tone like???? Great tone beats stratospheric licks any day of the week. Yes, I work on increasing my range, but after, and ONLY after I work on my tone-smooth and steady. Maybe instead of worrying about being the next MF, you should have someone listen and evaluate your tone!! A trumpet tone that sounds like a buzzsaw, or worse, someone strangling a cat, is sheer horror!!! Make it SOUND the best,and dont worry about breaking glass!!!!!!:play:

3. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    Development is not linear nor does it happen in isolation after a certain point. Let other aspects of your playing catch up, you'll find that development of one area of your playing works out to be complimentary. Also, bear in mind that at your age your are still developing physically and trumpet playing is partly physical so you need balance. At 16 years old I had a very solid high G below DHC but didn't have the knowledge/common sense to know when to back off or how to support that sort of development. I gave up at 17 after my playing nose-dived and nobody could put their finger on why. I'm back playing for the last 18 months aged 43 and am enjoying all aspects of my playing as it improves.

And to follow up on ROWAK's question regarding which pieces require the high Ab, many of Gordon Goodwin's charts are up there which means that school lead players are being put in situations where they see a high note and without proper guidance they are trying to reach for something that is a few years away from them. 'Samba Del Gringo' is one example of a lead part that goes up to Ab.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Wow! A piece with those notes is given out to high school players? Is this normal for US high school?

5. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    It shouldn't be, but yes. Same asinine directors who think they should demand double Gs at the end of every tune in a marching band show without preparing their lead players either musically or physically for the demands.

Scatmanblues

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If your tone sucks, nobody will want to hear it anyway. Work on that and the range will get there eventually. Record you Ab and listen to it, if you reach to turn down the volume you need to work on your tone. Nothing sounds worse than screechy, toneless, nails on a chalk board, DCI style trumpets.:D

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    A friend of mine once said that "tone is almost everything." His view is, you can have all the technical skill in the world, but without a good tone, nobody is going to want to hear it.

Turtle

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I find myself with little sympathy for those obsessed with playing in the nether ranges of the instrument. Little music is written for that range intentionally, and, to my my ears, music at that level sounds strained. Concentrate more on developing those skills in the range in which the horn flourishes.:shock:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1:thumbsup: