Range difficulties

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Jan 19, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You do not need to end this tune on that note. Pick another secure one. If you crack it every rehearsal until the gig, how do you think the performance is going to go? What will that do to your self confidence? What will that do to the audience?

Maynard was a freak of nature. He had the natural chops, preserverence to make the most of that and the jazz talent to stay in the range that HE had mastered. Wannabes sound just like that.

Believe me, the last B below double C is also optional. You owe it to yourself to give your best and not let testosterone spoil the evening.

Kujo20 likes this.
  2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Rowuk: "You owe it to yourself to give your best and not let testosterone spoil the evening"
    How true, how true!
    Kujo

3. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    My tone's fine. If it's anything to you, my previous middle school director, who played at JMU with a deep rich solo in their arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue his junior year, said I have a "very rich symphonic sound". I work on my range but not near as much as I do on my classical type playing. I'm a much better concert setting player than I am jazz, so I work on that more. For a junior in high school, I'm fairly confident in my tone.

4. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I do work a lot in my lower register. I do lots of pedal tones and actually have been trying to do some of my warm ups in pedal tones just to get those in.

5. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    Well, the only really hard part is the solo trumpet part. The rest of the band has stuff that's pretty easy. All the trumpet parts have a high D above high C during the piece and all but one of us can play that. I'm actually doubled on lead with a senior, but my range is a bit better than his. ( he can sometimes play a G, but not quite as consistently) So we have the ability to do most of the piece without too much trouble.

6. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    Luckily there are no double G's in this piece.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I can't stand it any longer... I've got to horn in. If you have a secure G above "high C"
    (4th ledger line above the staff) then play the stuff up to there and play anything above that down an octave. It's still in a range that will be exciting to the audience. Hopefully, the director is not expecting high school players to have chops that developed. As a high school player you have every right to be proud of the range that you do have command of. Hold your head up high and play the highest notes that you are sure of and feel good about it. I think it would be unreasonable to take a player your age and berate him for not having the kind of range you aspire to.
    I like Maynard, but for pure beauty in the high range, I'd rather listen to old Doc Severinsen recordings. Every note is golden.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Oh - I feel left out -- you didn't even quote me, lol.

Anyways your lots younger than me so recovery in the chops is a lot quicker. I still say similiar to my other post - to be patient, try using long tones in that range and not "over" blow or play too loud. I find that softly playing in the upper reg. helps me "feel" what I am doing in my lips while they vibrate. It really does help with "self diagnosis" of pinching or letting the aperture relax too much.
    So good practices build confidence --- I say you should continue to progress in any range you want. I say the DHE is possible to play well. (although I can't do it - yet). AND YOU should ignore most of the people who say music isn't written that high -- I want to do the Rocky theme this coming Sat. 29th - but truthfully it doesn't look like it will happen -- the chops ain't a cooperating. (((oh! no! - my Rocky theme isn't written there either -- I have to up it 2 octaves))).

I would check out Keith Fiala at trumpet resources on the net -- he has some pretty good youtube stuff that can help a lot, and you can sign up for weekly "free" tips from Keith.
    Hope that helps.
    play, enjoy, have fun, and be patient with yourself when the chops ain't cooperating ---

9. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I'll look into that; thanks.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you want to play up there ,you have to practice up there. It's like anything else on the trumpet , you want learn how to slur,you practice slurs. The trick is to practice it the right way.

You should try to increase your range everyday. Practicing at a piano or mezzo piano is the best approach for this. Don't continue until your chops are tired,stop often and rest. Try slurring the notes first, this usually easier than tonguing. Practice arpeggios with holding the top note,scales and flexibilities up an octave all at a soft volume with as little pressure as you can . This is what works for me.