Range Evolution

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lawrencelaptop, May 21, 2010.

1. lawrencelaptop

lawrencelaptop New Friend

Jun 30, 2009
    So, I've just finished my Grade 8 and want to consolidate before going for the Diploma.

My main problem is with range. I went all the way to grade 7 by puffing my lips to increase the ambient pressure and therefore air speed, allowing me to reach the notes but I'd tire quicker. After changing teachers, my current one (whom I now must leave unfortunately) rapidly beat the habit out of me :L but unfortunately when you've been missing out on all the strengthening 8 years of playing can provide when you play properly, it ends up leaving you far behind the crowd with range and stamina in the end.

So I was just wondering what and where can I find the best exercises to push me into shape? I know it may take years, but I'd like to know that I'll be working with a method advocated by you pros as otherwise I'd be tempted to change if I didn't feel any improvement.

So if anyone can recommend anything, I'd jump on it to be honest. I love playing and just wish I could do it for longer. Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lack of endurance is almost always not practicing enough OR bad breathing habits (or both).

You lost me on puffy lips and airspeed though. That doesn't line up with the anatomy of the human body.

It makes no difference what exercizes that you use. There is no "magic method" or one size fits all technique. What matters is HOW you practice (concentrated, mostly on skills you don't yet have.....) not WHAT.

I have not found the Internet really useful in fixing problems. It could work if the basics are really down. In your case, a local teacher can probably do much more for you.

3. lawrencelaptop

Jun 30, 2009
    Alright, thank you for the prompt response, I'll try increasing practise time.

And in regard to the puffy lips, the lips would also curl over as a result, narrowing the aperture. The main problem it caused was that it left a relatively weak tone and did not allow good flexibility.

Thank you for the advice!

4. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
    CLAUDE GORDON's systematic approach to daily practice

I think that this done correctly guarantees range among everything else

5. lawrencelaptop

Jun 30, 2009
    Ordered now! Its honestly exactly what I need I think... thank you very much for the referral!

People did mention in reviews though that other books were required besides the basic technique
    Don't suppose you know which?
    Thanks again! :-P

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    How do you puff your lips? Is it Mick Jagger puffy or Angolina Jolie puffy?
    Just listen to rowuk.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about web cam lessons? hint hint.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lawrence,
    the only thing that "narrows" the aperature are the face muscles. Puffy, now rolled??????????

You don't need a book. You need a teacher (trumpet and anatomy). Then you can get this properly sorted.

9. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    it requires the arban, clarke technicaland characteristic studies, sait jacome's (I'd double check the spelling), charles colin's and walter smith's lip flexibility for trumpet books

but you can space out buying them
    it'll ask for them like months apart lol

10. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    *clarke TECHNICAL studies
    sorry