Range Evolution

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lawrencelaptop, May 21, 2010.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    i know exactly how you feel! i used to puff my bottom lip with a small amount of air to play anything above an A, i passed my grade 8 about 2 years ago and since then i had no teacher for about a year untill ive come to uni, my new teacher has instantly spotted this and as a result i am going upto C and D's at the moment no problem and its also given me so much control on my lop quiet notes....
    my teacher has given me a hour and a half a day routen although sometimes i dont have time for it all..... 15mins warm up, half hour of aurban, 20mins of colin, then 25mins, scales, patterns for jazz, improv and some tunes. i started this in october last year and i can tell i have improved so so much although im probably now grade 6/7 standerd i have built proper technique and its just a matter of time, i wasent expecting to go from were i was to amazing in 3 weeks these things take so much time!

one of the main things it teachers in schools teach you yo play the music they dont usually spend much time on technique which leaves players like you and me playing 'wrong' and now were suffering :( get a good teacher and a good practice routen on the go and youl be alright, i can give you the pages of the aurban and my warm up if you want?

2. Dissonance (:

Dissonance (: New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Stalker much?
    I recommend buying yourself an Arban's book. You will find it in any serious music store. Though it may be a little pricey, it contains hundreds of exercises, from simple chromatics to difficult ornament studies. I could say more about it, but there are a plethora of websites that you could check to look into it.

However, as precise as it is, a book can never replace a skilled teacher- one who can give specialized instructions to suite your personal needs. Finding an experienced instructor should be your first priority.

Good luck!

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Use the Arban books initial pages, and work on breath attacks. Then work the Clarke Studies. Claude Gordon is great for what your talking about, I highly recommend this book, HIGHLY, get it and it will help you a tone, now, if you get Max Schlossberg, then you need someone to explain it to you, in that alot of it can be used in lip bends etc. But GET A CLAUDE GORDON BOOK, it will help you out!

4. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    All you high school authorities need to stop giving advice and go practice your trumpets.... or go play in your sandboxes.

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    All suggestions of literature are good suggestions,
    but they┬┤ll do you no good if you play it the wrong way!

GET A TEACHER!!

6. lawrencelaptop

lawrencelaptop New Friend

Jun 30, 2009
    Alright guys, calm down :L
    I did and do have a teacher. The old one was Malcolm Weale who was frankly brilliant, and the new ones Jullian Poore, who I can't even begin to recommend enough.

I sorted my lip and am now happy with my playing. Jullians had me doing lip slurs and arban pages for 8 weeks and my embouchures improved drastically, along with my endurance.

The books have helped a lot too. I understand not much can be gained from literature alone, but also there was no need to dismiss offhand the suggestion of temporarily moving toward fixing the issue myself whilst i had no teacher. As it happened by using my initiative and basic feelings, along with breathing exercises and good practise techniques the correct setting of my lips became the natural instinct. The only thing Jullian had to eliminate when I arrived at his doorstep was a breaking point, one which has been almost negated by his teaching.

Thanks for the constructive advice though!

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    What is "Grade 8"? Is that Suzuki books? Honestly curious here.