range exercise!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vanbuskirk, Aug 31, 2010.

1. vanbuskirk

vanbuskirk New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    florida
    Hello, I am trying to keep my aperture open by playing a low note then the high note focusing on keeping it open. I still tense up when going high I guess it takes a hell of alot of work lol anyway has anyone tried this? Thanks for the feedback! Its just in my head to close up but trying very hard!!!!!

2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I do this too, it's a good way to make sure you don't get stuck in "low note mode". For instance, if you hold a low C at ppp volume, you might subconsciously adjust your embouchure because you know you won't have to play any higher. This can obviously be a problem, requiring you to reset if some high notes are called for after that, or making a slur upwards more difficult than it would otherwise be.

You might also try taking every 4th note of an etude up an octave (or two), or the last note of every other phrase, or something like that.

There are different schools of thought so I won't say anything regarding aperture, except that when I do this I'm not consciously thinking about it. I'm just thinking, "I want my embouchure when playing low notes to be as similar as possible to when I'm playing high notes".

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Stamp exercises are excellent for this if you do them correctly. I'm not referring to the buzzing exercises, but rather the flow-like studies.

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I would hesitate to focus too much on the aperture remaining open - it must close to ascend. Try, instead to preserve your middle range embouchure throughout your entire range. Both Stamp and Thomposon Buzzing Basics are good for this. In sum: find a relaxed second-line G or third-space C, slur down and up as far as you like. I like to use 4th/5th progressions to extend; play the root and fifth of whatever key you chose up and down from a comfortable, middle starting point.

Stuart

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Good advice from the above posters. Question, why are you thinking about your apeture? From experience I would say you're over thinking your playing. The upper register comes as a result of developing the full range of the trumpet. Esp. the meat of the range from low C to G at the top of the staff. learnng to play the trumpet is a matter of training the embochure, body and mind in a systematic way. No secrets, no tricks. We've know how to learn to play for 400 years.

stop thinking about your apeture. Fine motor skills cannot be controlled by thinking about what you are doing. When you are playing music in a group or solo these skills have to be subconcious. This is why we train.

6. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Try doing octave slurs.
    Control your volume and not land hard and loud on the lower octaves.
    I had a bad habit of doing that myself until my Teacher had me start off every lesson with "ok let me hear your octave slurs"
    He just wanted to make sure i was working on it lol.

7. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    Think "eee" in order to narrow the airflow, and "aaa" to open the throat. At the same time. (Yeah, I know it's pretty much physically impossible, but just have that mindset.) You want a balance between the two.

8. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    Think "aaa" to open the throat and "eee" to narrow the airstream. You want a balance between the two.

9. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    Oops, sorry about that.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why would ANYONE want to keep the aperature open? First of all, we play by the lips flapping open and closed. The bigger the hole, the less efficient everything works. Our air takes care of opening the lips as much as necessary and our chops keeps them closed as much as possible.

I will say, that thinking about the aperature while playing is like thinking about bowel movement. Both probably will result in crap.