Range Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Josh, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    So, in an effort to improve my range, I am doing range exercises. Perfectly normal idea, nothing unusual about that. However, I am not doing them regularly, operating by the bodybuilding credo of resting after a workout in order to let the muscles heal and strengthen. I'm basically doing them about three times a week. What do you think about this idea?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe it will work, maybe not. High notes are not the product of calisthenics. They are the product of synergy between body, mind and everything between both ears. If one practices properly, there is no massive tear down of the muscles and no need for a big healing period. The chops do not work like arm muscles. They use fine motor skills. I think this way of working is not necessary.

3. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    In regards to bodybuilding:
    What they do is isolate a muscle and then BURN it,meaning they do reps at about 80% max of the total weight they can lift.
    They then slowly decrease the weight doing the reps till they cant even lift 10 pounds.Thus that muscle is wasted for 2 to 3 days.
    This is done for definition not actual strength, although more strength is achieved your not looking at power lifting.
    If you look at World Class athletes they train EVERYDAY as with World Class Musicians.
    If you are burning your chops you are hurting yourself and not improving.

Ben there done that.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Range is a result of intellingent development of all areas of trumpet playing. It's about learning and developing the skills used to play music. you don't develop the fine motor skills in the embochure by approaching it like body building.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do range exercises as a part of warm-up, whenever I warm-up. Sounds like you got something where you blow your guts out starting at triple f and crescendo till you pass out. IF that's the case you have to rest days cause your skull can't take it. Been there, done that, had the headaches. I play as softly and as musically as possible and it works for me. And no more headaches.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Sounds to me like posters here took you too literally when you mentioned bodybuilding. Unless you're literally doing range exercises until you drop. If you are, then like the others said, you're on the wrong path. But it IS true that we work our lip muscles and should treat them like muscles in the sense of giving them time to heal/rest. Taking days off also lets muscle memory sink in (mouth and fingering).

And this isn't anything special to trumpet playing. It's just a basic fact of how the brain and body work together. Maybe weightlifting would be a better analogy. And weightlifting for definition and basic strength and endurance, not power lifting. If it was all about strength guys like Maynard would have lips out to here......> X.

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I've watched some youtube videos regarding the "pencil excersize". I've known and heard of trumpeters using this to "build" and live by it as gospel, but my teacher says he doesn't endorse this type of workout. His theory is play the trumpet and everything else will fall into place. ???

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    SB,
    it is not an overreaction. I have been teaching for many years. Kids beating themself up is almost Standard Operating Procedure. It makes life a bit easier for good teachers because we have a very clearly defined "Stupidity" that we can solve with intelligent practice. We just need to get the kids to the good teachers!

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Having been a bodybuilder at one time (hard to tell now:lol:), I understand the tear down, rest, tear down cycle. Seeing what is available from "teachers" on the web and you tube and the posters reference to the body building credo caused me to say what I said. From my standpoint there's a difference between "hitting " a note and "playing" a note. Some players call the top of their range any note that can be blatted or splatted no matter how bad it sounds.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Instead of playing every other day,a better alternative would be to do what some call heavy and light practice days. So while you're still practicing your regular routine everyday ,you're working on your range every other day.

tobylou8 likes this.