Range extension

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, May 6, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    My customer wants to be able to play solo literature written for Bb trumpet on his C trumpet. He has seen but not liked extensions on a main tuning slide, so wanted me to come up with a way to do it on his third slide. This is an extension switched in by a rotary valve actuated by the left hand pinky, and is the third hybrid (3 piston + 1 rotor) design added to my range. I have an ascending C/D trumpet, quarter tone trumpets (in either C or Bb), and now this third slide extension.

[​IMG]

2. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is the quarter tone kit which I can fir to most Bb or C trumpets.

[​IMG]

3. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    And this is a pre-plating photo of the C/D trumpet.

[​IMG]

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting stuff, although from a practicality standpoint, wouldn't it significantly change the blow and feel of the horn? I know some people are really into using just one specific horn, but wouldn't a more practical solution be to simply find a good Bb and use that instead? Don't get me wrong, I think that these things are pretty cool, but there comes a point of limited payoff with that kind of thing. It's kind of like a multi-tool. They are great to have in a pinch when you aren't quite sure what you are going to need, and the tools available on multi-tool will get it done, but they'll never do it as well as a tool that's dedicated to a specific task.

I know, I know - I'm probably being a Negative Nancy, but I don't mean to be. FWIW, I think you do excellent work.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, how does an extension on the 3rd slide put the horn in Bb? Am I missing something here?

6. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It does not put the trumpet in Bb; on a C trumpet it enables him to play low F and low E (the G and F# on a Bb).

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The player has a particular situation where he has a heavy program of C trumpet and prefers not to have to use the Bb to be able to play one note. Yes, all this extra hardware will affect the whole horn, but he only needs it for one movement. He intends swapping the slides just for that movement.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oooooh! I get it - he plays everything on the C trumpet (transposes Bb parts?) but when it comes time to play the lowest range of the Bb parts, the low G and F#, it gives him the extension to be able to do that. Is that correct?

That makes a lot more sense now, and especially if it doesn't negatively affect the blow and resonance of the horn - it's going to change it some, but not much - I was thinking that the slide was going to put the whole horn in Bb, and not just allow for the lower notes. My brain just wasn't connecting the dots earlier - hadn't had my second cup o' Joe yet. :-)

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Correct

10. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Sounds like a lot of work for just a couple of notes.