Range extension

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, May 6, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Is it possible to pull the slide for Eb? Would come in handy on Ein Heldenleben.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Sounds like innovation to me.

Kujo

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's how I see it too. Given the circumstance, it's a pretty cool solution for a specific situation, and prevents a person from having to lug around multiple horns. Some people don't mind that, but everyone has their own preference for how they do things, and I can understand the person who wants the simplicity and compactness of that solution.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Amazing what coffee can do, huh Patrick! :-)

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The (dump) slide after the rotor is long enough to pull out for a further half step to get you to Eb. The tricky part is to remember what length tubing you have for each fingering. Don't ask me how I know that! I was testing this extension at a rehearsal of Shostakovich 5 (first movement melody down to low G in a Bb part) and got totally confused. I think I sounded the correct pitch in spite of my fingering.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For me it's about effort and efficiency vs the payoff - I couldn't imagine a situation where a C to Bb conversion would play as nicely or sound as good as a good Bb trumpet is all. Once I understood the purpose of the range extension, it made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I was a bit slow on the uptake earlier today and didn't get it at first! LOL!

It's a lot like having the 4th valve on a Getzen flugel - it's not something that I'd personally use, but for someone playing flugel in a brass band, or for someone who has the need for the extended bottom range, it makes a lot of sense, even if it's only ever going to be used on the rarest of occasions.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I agree. I suspected that might be what it was for, but I thought, surely not...

Nice work, nonetheless, Ivan!

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Very nice work. I find it actually to be quite a practical solution. Could also have the added benefit of offering some alternate fingerings. Well done.