Range has reduced?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    So i have been practicing everyday and a month ago or more, i used to play that High G and A above staff a lot more comfortable but now for some reason i feel like i can't hit those notes most of the time. My lips feel a lot more sloppy now as well when i play a tune.

Any ideas on how i can fix this lol?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just like with nutrition, we need a "balanced diet" as trumpet players. This means plenty of long tones, plenty of flexibility, plenty of both soft and loud playing, plenty of listening and some tunes to keep us musical. Do the G and A above the staff cut out completely, or do they just sound wimpy?

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010

Thanks for this Peter, will start practicing those and see how i go in a few weeks or so.

They will only cut out when my lips are tired, which is generally after 10min mark of playing. Generally speaking, they sound wimpy. No way as near as comfortable as any other notes below.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hmm.... Just how long are your practice sessions? As you practice are you resting as much as you play? Your lips tire after 1o minutes of practice, is this 10 minutes spent entirely in your upper register? Can you space your practice time across the day or must you do it all in one session?

Peter and VB have given you excellent advice. VB's thoughts concerning balance may be particularly noteworthy in your case. Practicing the lower portion of your range is just as important as the top. As you practice, are you focusing on range or producing a wonderful sound? This point of focus can be real important.

Finally, are you receiving private instruction from an excellent teacher? Such a person would be in a much better position to observe and make recommendations concerning this problem.

Jim

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the notes are getting weak after only 10 minutes of playing, hmmm, how much do you play each day, Saile? If not much, you might want to add long tones that ascend chromatically from F# below the staff, playing each with extreme dynamics: a crescendo from pppp to ffff and back again for each note, holding as long as possible.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    From your answer to Vulgano Brother's question, it sound like stamina may be the issue. Perhaps increasing your duriation of playing by 20% per week may be the trick and near the beginning of practice work on some of the higher range long tones and slurs into the mix. So for your music diet... Add more quantity and put some more phat into it!

7. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    Sounds like the start of over training, you need to rest and recover other wise you get stale and if note careful will have a collapse of the chops completely. look at Patrick Hessions book on developing your chops.

8. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Just a very small opinion. Don't worry about it. Just practice and then practice some more. Then instead of "hitting" notes you'll be blowing the pants off of them. Like one of my trumpet teachers used to say to me "Just practice and range will come" A little play from Field of Dreams. But that little tid bit gave all the range from Double pedel c to a double a. Just have fun, practice and don't forget to always make music.

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks guys for all your advice.

My practice sessions are generally 30mins, give or take.

I tend to warm up within the 5mins frame and then im ready to play any note from low register to the A above the staff.

I usually do my scales for the warm up, but as soon as i am ready to "play" i like to just play music sheets or random stuff - or i call it improv haha. It's not long after that i can't play the A anymore, and maybe only 5-10mins after that i can't play the G.

I think stamina is a big issue here, duration of playing is shorted, but ill be honest, practicing during day has also reduced due to other commitments. I have some more time now for next month or so, and increasing practicing time is on my to do list.

I mostly like to focus on my tone and sound when practicing. However, i like to think, if i can hit the A and possibly B with no stress, then a lot more songs would sound better and playable.