Range Improvement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PaigeBurnett, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, with very complicated physics involving everything from the material it is made of, to the length of tubing, to the number of spit valves, and the radius of the bends, to the diameter of the bell, etc. etc. etc. at best it is a compromise of most of the "understood" fundamentals of the physics behind the instrument........... at worst it is a wonder that the thing makes any good music at all..........

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's not the physics behind the trumpet that is usually the problem - because that's where the player should be. ;-)

gmonady likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Amen!

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Very interesting. We do tend to forget this fact. I have seen a couple of physics of trumpet articles, one of which I think is in an old Scientific American but I could easily use Google Scholar to look up more. A "leaky resonator" does make sense. Now, I have to make sense how these two things interact.

BrotherBACH

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    A "leaky resonator" and Physics only make SENSE when you put in 1000's of repetitions, and 1,000 of hours of intelligent, focused, repetitive, dedicated practice ---and you might as well make that --- practice does not make you perfect, but perfect practice does help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Well in Aussie land you may actually be at the posterior end of the trumpet -- however I view myself as the ENGINE that allows the trumpet to reverberate a turn sound waves into fine fine music. ROFL ROFL ROFL