Range in the first year

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Weevie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Most high school trumpeters began earlier. Doing Fine in the 1st year does not mean you'll get that F.

But good for you if you do.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Uhh, I dunno. I'm just starting too. And I hate the guitar, too hard. I taught myself some trumpet a couple years ago over winter, I could play the Benny Hill song and other stuff that was within my range. It would suk when I wanted to play something but Oops, need a note that's out of my range. But tons of cool stuff is in a pretty limited range.

Reading music is the hard part.

I think the first book is written so that, a highschooler with a decent practice schedule, decent amount of interest, and not too many distractions, can achieve what's in the book. Of course in real life there may be students who are on the first book still in their second year of Band, and some who zip through the first book in half a year.

OK I'm gonna keep track of this, because I am curious what range I'll have, I'm just doing a lot of mouth buzzing now and some MP buzzing. And I intend to work through the Standard Of Excellence books because I got lucky and found the 3 books at a music store yay me.

Veery what range do you have now? I'm sure it's more than mine.

3. SteveMac

SteveMac New Friend

May 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think its all individual. When I was in 5th grade, got my trumpet on a Saturday before starting my first class on Monday, I was playing the Bb scale and up to a D before Monday morning. My teacher thought I had lessons prior to that day. Nobody else in the class could play the first note. Never the less, I sat First chair all the way from 5th grade through High School. Not everyone can do it, but you just have to play to your best potential. I never had lessons, and am now starting back after a long lay off, and plan to start taking lessons soon. I want to be a BETTER player, not just a high note player. I want it all now...:D

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    This is probably one of the most salient threads for me. It reminds me where I came from and speaks to advice given in another thread. In our quest to reach higher and higher notes we forget that during our first days in grade school a middle C seemed like what a high C is to us now a early comeback players. Then, as now, it is just a matter of consistent practice and patience. Admittedly, it is easier said than done.

Best Wishes,

David

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    With a good teacher, C above the staff in a year where you will stagnate (rangewise) for the following 2. DIYourselfers have no rule of thumb.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    C above the staff is I think the highest Arban's goes.

I had like 1-2 days of trumpet in HS. Some kids were making fun of me because I was next to smallest so when it came my time to blow a long note "as long as you can" according to Mr. Peyton, I blew a long, long note just to show 'em up. But I didn't know there was anything to trumpet playing beyond Herb Alpert then so I didn't get with the program.

7. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I've been playing for about 18 months now (had never played any wind instrument before that). I would say that my useable range is about up to about top line F (or the G above that on a good day). When I am fresh and relaxed, I can play a scale up to high C (= C above the staff) but that note is not at all part of my useable range. I occasionally try Arban exercises or other pieces with notes up to A above the staff, but at the moment that note is very hit and miss for me.

Anyway, what I have found most challenging as a beginning brass player is not range. Rather I would like to develop a more consistent and stable tone that doesn't collapse after 30 minutes of playing. I have joined a local junior brass band, and I usually find that by the end of the sessions I am barely able to play 3rd space C with a decent tone.

Also, I find the lower part of my range quite challenging (anything below middle C). But I guess that doesn't seem as glamourous to work on as trying to squeak out some high notes :)

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I started 55 years ago, in 5th grade. Within a year, I could hit a 'C' above the staff but only if there was a run up to it and it was a short note. I played for 10 years after that and the clarity and duration of my 'C' improved but I never developed a useable 'D'. Now, after 40 years off, I picked it up again. I could ht the high 'C' within a couple of weeks. Now, after a year on my comeback, I can sustain a 'C' but only on very good days, can I briefly hit a 'D'. It seems that I have found my personal limit. But, the band I play in has a 'screamer' in case we need a high note. I just play in my range and have fun.

9. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    At the end of my first year, I was hitting G's on top of the staff. We started on Low C's and progressed up the staff. I haven't even gotten to a consistent High C though, and I'm starting my Fourth Year of playing :/ (wow, I can't believe that I've been playing that long hahaha)

10. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    I've been playing since about a week before I joined this forum last year..
    my playable range has gone from low to E in the staff and back down when I had a month of not practicing.. started practicing again concentrating on technique rather than learning songs and peaked about a month and a half ago, got upto high C and decided to see how much further I could go without using much pressure and got upto a sustained but thin F.. it was obviously a moment of good technique partly by fluke lol.
    Since then I have been concentrating more on songs and conscious control of dynamics, - it feels like hard work to get to F below high C now but my flexibility is improving.
    I haven't had any lessons though I do read the help topics here for symptoms and causes. I've started taking my trumpet to work to get more practice time in at lunch.
    On the downside I'm a bit lazy and play without tonguing when it isn't necessary.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010