Range in the first year

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Weevie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Is this for ALL beginners or for teen/adult beginners? I ask because I began to play trumpet somewhere before or after my 7th birthday. At that age a kid is much smaller, has much less lung capacity and less muscualature than a teen or an adult. I don't remember when I got to high C, but I'm quite sure it wasn't within the first year or two.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I was happy I could play a LONG-azz note because I was used to free-diving and could hold my breath a long time. They say "swimming is the best exercise" is a cliche', but it's surprising what sports and activities it will carry over into.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    that link Rowuk gives is excellent. OK so the C my book starts on is "middle C", and also called C4. I can probably go to C5 (not in my book where I am yet but I noodle around a bit too) and then if I can get to C6 that's two octaves, that's enough to play a ton of music.

4. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    My son turned six the end of May and has been playing for one year. He was so proud of himself today for hitting C above the staff. His desire to push his range higher is complete his own doing esp. since he knows no other trumpet players.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    That is awesome! So much easier to make "mouth sounds" when one is a kid.

And a lot of us are learning in isolation, there are no trumpet teachers near me so I'm just trying to draw on what I know from the few lessons I had in the past, and use the Internet to as much advantage as possible while it's still around.

6. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    I just keep hammering away at the first Clark Technical Study for about 20 mins every day barring the hiccups. Sorry I didn't get the book earlier as my range and endurance has improved dramatically since doing this.

After 1 year squeeky G above staff.
    After 6 years solid second ledger C.

Getting ready for Louis Armstrongs " West End Blues" Cadenza to D which would be miraculous.

Doesn't seem like a hell of an accomplishment making 5 extra semi tones in the equal number of years but believe me it is !!

......In my honest opinion.

Cheers

Paul.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Trumpet + hiccups! ROFL

I can do C4 to C5 now, but I've literally been playing a week or two! I try to lip-buzz at random times because I can do it anytime and I notice real improvement at THAT. At least with trumpet the fine muscle control is in the mouth - I can cut down trees and do stuff like that all day and then practice no problem. I'd hate to be a violinist these days. :-P