range issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anthonykeuth, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Anthonykeuth

Anthonykeuth New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    Hi, i'm the lead trumpet player in the A band at my school and i'm having some range problems. I can play up to a high G sharp, but I hit a wall trying to play the A. I'm talking about the A after the C above the staff. I'm playing on a schilke 14A4a. I've been working on this for awhile now and it's so frustrating. Any thoughts?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Anthonykeuth!

Bill Chase used to finger the a above the c above the staff 123. You might try that, or maybe second valve.

3. Anthonykeuth

Anthonykeuth New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    cool, will definitely try that out, thanks!

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM!

Just remember the range stuff comes with time and intelligent practice - lots of ways to mess yourself up if you get too single minded about range. VB's suggestion about alternate fingerings is a good one.

Jim

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just grip it and rip it - that's the key. If you don't feel like you are about to split your lip with the mouthpiece, you aren't using enough pressure. Also, that 14A4a might be good, but the smaller the number, the better the mouthpiece - you should move directly to the 13A4a.*

* ignore the above - I just thought it sounded funny. Comeback's advice is the way to go.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Try coming at it from the top down...
    If the Bb, B, & DHC are working then go there and descend to the A chromatically.

Check different horns, mpcs, and mpc gaps.

Try it as a flatter 1st valve Bb.

Try playing softer. Don't blow apart the aperture.

Different fingerings may work on different horns. There are only 7, you can try them all in about 10 seconds.