range of a flugel horn - should you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - recently I have been in contact with 2 members here who play the flugelhorn. One TM member insists that playing a Double High C (6 spaces above the staff) is something His audience likes and asks for -- or otherwise approve of. While the other opinion is that a Flugel horn is meant for easy smooth mellow music, and certainly the question is -WHY? why would anyone want to play a flugel horn in the altissimo range anyhow?
    what is your opinion -- and how do you determine what your audience appreciates? - especially for flugel (and or other instrument) enthusiasts

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my input is that I have traditionally used my flugel for mellow songs, and have never really tried to push the envelope with the flugel (usually stopping at the A above the staff, and determining that this is as high as the flugel should be played) -- and always opt for the trumpet for a high solo, or high playing in general.

3. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Yeah, for me, screaming on a flugel just doesn't make sense. It would be like putting hot sauce in a cup of hot chocolate.:cool:

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Tell that to Chuck Mangione. He used the high register a lot...
    Chili and chocolate is delicious.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with EB.

Different strokes for different folks...

6. MiniBryan

MiniBryan Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    I dont know cuz I dun play that horn I play trumpet :D

7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My take on it is...why try to sound and do things on a flugel that a trumpet can achieve more successfully?...and visa versa.

As much as I admired Maynard and what he did to progress what a trumpet can sound like, I never really liked his flugel approach. Sure it was "mellower" than his trumpet sound yet I still think he "man handed" the instrument into doing things it was not designed for.

Conversely Chuck Mangione sometimes tried to do things on flugel that might be better suited for trumpet. He often sounded too strained and out of tune in upper register.

The flugelhorn IMHO should be approached very differently than you would a trumpet.
    Enjoy the mid range expressiveness , maybe flirt a little with the high and low extremes, but the heart of the horn lies in the middle.

8. trumpetrmb

trumpetrmb New Friend

Jun 15, 2011
    Portsmouth, England
    Surely it's just the same as playing your trumpet? Some people dig on mellow, some people dig on peeling paint! Personally the almighty Clarke Terry is the bench mark i strive to on my flugel. I've never heard anyone complain about his sound!!

9. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    A flugel (IMO) starts to lose body of sound after top A (1 ledger line). Not that it can't be played above that, it's just pointless writing much higher than that in an arrangement. Believe me I speak from experience! If you want higher and that kind of sound, it's better to use trumpet with a bucket mute.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ah, the old bucket mute. Great idea.

Guess it isn't a question of whether the horn can be played in the high range-it can. It becomes more of a question of whether liteners enjoy and find such sound appealing. From the previous posts it appears some do and some don't.

My own preference is when the flugel gets over high C or D it looses appeal. For some reason I associate high with bright and an edge. Not what the flugel is designed for. Again, just personal preference. I'm sure others may enjoy the sound.