range of a flugel horn - should you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There is a YouTube clip of Maynard playing a flugel...as always in the high register, and sounding very trumpety. Maynard of course could get away with this, but for most of us (i.e., me) the best range of the flugel horn is from low C or low F# up to A above the staff.

This is where the horn really shines. Like a moderator here said..."A flugel is really a tiny tuba."

2. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I know Nightsongs by peaslee has the flugel part going to the C#above High C and spends a good amount of time in the flugel's upper register

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Even though I usually stay in the "lower" register with my flugel, I say that this is a trick question. Forget about what the instrument was "designed" for and make MUSIC!

Trombones aren't "designed" for screaming high notes, but Frank Rosolino was quite good at them (and they sounded great).

Music isn't what other people tell you it is. It's what you make of it. There's my opinion!

Kujo

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Current state of my chops, A above the staff is about the best I can do. i like the sound in the middle myself:dontknow::shhh:

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There is something cool about a trombone going up into the stratosphere, and trumpets going up into the range above high C is fun as well.

Even though many are able to take a flugel on a rocket ride to the moon, it just does not please my ears as much as a trumpet going there. And flugels lose that warm mellow tone once they get up there any way. I'm not saying don't do it, just that it sounds better on a trumpet...even nice on a trombone!

But what the heck...it's all about having fun, right?

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Hey, I'm right there with ya! But on my JFH 846 RS going to high C and above is dependent on the mouthpiece in use. My Blessing 3FL will go to D above the staff, whereas my Flip Oakes Extreme fizzles out above an A. Certainly this is all player ability related...but the mouthpiece has a huge impact. But once I get to a C, I sound just like a trumpet. So what is the use?

7. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    No one has mentioned Art Farmer. He sounded really sweet on his flugel even up high.
    I thought music was about expressing yourself, doing your own thing, so why would any one want to limit themselves to one tired concept of what an instument 'should' sound like.
    If we all did that we'd still live in caves holding master classes on the correct way to bang rocks together. Break out the wah pedal and let rip. if that's your thing.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 I like screaming flugels on occasion and Texas Pete in my hot chocolate!!:lol:

9. trumpetrmb

trumpetrmb New Friend

Jun 15, 2011
    Portsmouth, England
    Yeah i'll remembe next time i'm feeling like gettin a little higher during my solo to pop my horn down, pick up my trumpet and attach a bucket mute and carry on. Seriously??!!. Maybe Maynard, Bill Chase, Bud Brisbois should've picked up their picc's! King Art YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Play " My Funny Valentine " on Flugel and just lay back and enjoy the mellow tone.