range of a flugel horn - should you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - I just have to way in on Chuck Mangione -- I saw him live in concert in Cortland, NY circa 1989. I agree that a high note or two was "seemed" strained -- but he was playing in the range of A's an octave up from the 1st ledger A above the staff --(if I recall correctly).
    Aside from that -- the most notable thing about Mangione to me -- was serious endurance.
    I mean this dude was playing songs for like 12 -15 minutes at a time without a break -- (and it all sounded great) --- low to high, slow and fast -- and I thought "AWESOME - wish my lips could hold out for 15 minutes at a time -- and do that for a 3 hours show:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ps. I have the LP's (vinyl record of "Feels So Good") and a record player -- and there is something very nostalgic about that!!!- but I am old too;-)

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't remember who wrote the piece .. I think someone from Los Angeles.. but the string section tapped there bows on the music stands.... it was cool to listen to and a fun idea ... it may not be as drastic but "to me" the flugel was designed as a very mellow trumpet .. which is does pretty well I think most would agree..
    The contemporairy music nowdays seems to be very texture driven... so playing a flugel in the stratosphere is a in that zone, I guess ..
    Bill Watrous played pretty high so I guess if you could handle a flugel up there I guess it works.
    Personally, I don't enjoy hearing a flugel played like a trumpet ... probably because I enjoy that fat sultry sound it has when played on the staff...
    Chuck Magione made alot more money in music than I have ... not my cup of tea but he seems to be for alot of other listeners.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The flugel movement in Claude Bolling's "Toot Suite" goes up to a high C, so that's always been a benchmark for me. But...

I played a "smooth jazz" gig in Sacramento a month or two ago with a guest flugelhorn artist. He soloed on several of the tunes and played quite a few high notes, up around F or G above high C, and whaddayaknow -- the notes may not have been terribly mellow, but the crowd ate 'em up.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I bet KT doesn't have an asymmetric mp for flugel... :bleah:

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    or an asymetrical sports drink )

8. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Chuck is the marathon runner of horn players.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Flugels are simply hunks of brass waiting for the enlightened to make someone elses day. Why should the closed minded place limits on artists?

If you composed a piece called the Teakettle Rumble, what would YOU expect the improvisation to include? What about creating a concerto for flugelhorn and bats? What about entertaining insects.

We have every right to want it all. I am always impressed when an artist stretches the envelope and finds something new - in any octave. Juvenile squeals do get on my nerves though...................

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As I was reading down through this thread I was thinking about my own experience with flugel and was actually going to post the same thing - that for me, I start to lose the body in my sound after 1st ledger A. Having said that, music is about expressing oneself with voice or instrument, and if that expression for some takes them into the altissimo range on the flugel and that works for them, more power to them.