range of a flugel horn - should you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Having thrown the discus in high school, the best method would be similar to throwing the hammer. Grab it in the bell crook THEN spin in discus fashion. The release angle should be about 30 degrees, any higher or lower trajectory will shorten your throw. ;-):lol:

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    tobylou8 likes this.
  3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I’m with the majority on this one.

The flugle is for mellow sounds just as is the cornet.

I heard Marvin Stamm playing screeching notes when he was with Woody Herman's band and I was impressed, but as I get older I would rather hear those notes played on a trumpet. Even the sound of a cornet has its place.

Some people play high notes on a flugel only because they can, not because they should!

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I play both, but prefer to play flugel. Although my range is similar on both I rarely play above a 2nd-ledger C or D on flugel, and then mostly on funk solos where I might play a little more aggressively. I use moderate pressure and my upper register on flugel doesn't get trumpet-like for the most part. I've never enjoyed attacking the flugel, and that would probably be my biggest criticism of younger players who haven't mastered the practice of relaxing and not over-powering the flugel.
    Unless everyone around here plays it in the wrong key, Mangione's "Feels So Good" has several upper C's & D's that can be a challenge to play if you try to squeeze them out. Best approach s to use a lot of air support and relax the pressure.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Flugel horns in the upper range do not scream. Give it a try.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The reward in doing this is because it routinely gets recognition by the audience. Here is one of our bands reviews:

The Quintet opened the set with some hard driving jazz and Conrad Jessee leaned over to me and said, "You're not kidding when you said they can play BeBop!!! That was just the beginning of a great night of music. Flugelhorn player Dr. Gary Onady made that instrument sound like a trumpet...

After the gig, the review stated he had never heard the flugel horn performed in that way (he was a trumpet player) and that it was such a unique sound, he loved it, and would be a follow the band were ever he could travel just to hear this sound. He is not the only one who met me back stage to make these comments. Unless you try it, you have no idea of the potential.

You also cannot flaunt this skill. The range is used sparingly, and then dip and dive back to the flugel horn's mellow core. It is a contrast that is unmatched by any other technique or style I have ever used.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't believe you. I can hit the A below double high C with consistancy. So believe me, I speak from experience. The bucket mute in the same range comes no where close to producing the same sound. Believe me, I speak from experience.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, this is so not true. The flugel in the high range brings out an expression in a song that is untouched by any other brass instrument. The flugel in the high range sings, it does not squeal, screech or shout. I don't think there is any more intense emotion I am able to portray, than using the flugel SPARINGLY in the upper register.

Could it be overdone? Absolutely, then it becomes no more unique than a lead trumpet player in a big band. I recommend this should be avoided, as then, the beauty and uniqueness of the upper register flugel will be lost.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH my the making of the 2nd generation of "deadheads" -- so if it's bebop--- what will we call these travelers??
    the be-bop-heads????ROFL

I wish I had a following -- they would be called the KING'S COURT!!! or KING OF THE ROADS --
    definitely NOT -- the bee-bop-heads!!!ROFLROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    It's a Yamaha flugel -- I don't think it is supposed to be symmetricalROFL:thumbsup: