Range Plateau?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, May 28, 2014.

1. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    After going through range exercises today, I once again could not surpass my limit that hasn't expanded in the last 4-5 months. I don't know what it is typically for people, but prior I could add half a step every 3 months or so, or at least make my top notes musical and stronger.
    I'm not asking how to improve my range though (I've discussed with my teacher), I'm curious if there is a set limit to how high we can play. Whether that's individual physical characteristics that determine it or not etc. Besides that it seems that most of the best screamers top out at a triple X note but why not quadruple?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quads have never been recorded and while "there", not a musical note and eventually you get beyond the range of human hearing. Plateau could be caused because that's all one has. Upper register above high F exceeds the harmonics of most trumpets if I remember correctly. Above there, the player is exceeding the design of the horn and its all them. Thats probably why the macho attitude about the upper register. Sure most of this is true, read it on a trumpet forum. ;-)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Every 4-5 month advancement in range is not a bad transition sequence. In fact, that is likely better of a progression than I have ever made. I did just get to the E above double high C, but it took me 40 years to get there. So that's just above 50 months for each note above high C. So you got me beat by 10 fold!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take it easy, take it slow, own the note, before the higher you go.

5. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I forgot to mention I'm a sophomore who has played for about 6 years and my peak note is a high E with just a whisper of a F, about an octave under you :)

I also don't mean I've always through my years increased notes every 3 months. I think in the past year and a half I've been doing this after some serious 27 Groups and Clarke studies.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So Skelingtin are you talking about e and f at the top of the staff?

7. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I'm talking about above the staff with 4 ledgers. But I'm not by any means playing those notes in music yet. The best I've done was the Eb in Hadyn.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A sophomore with a workable Eb is doing fine. As Tobylou8 mentions, starting around e the trumpet doesn't function so much like a trumpet but more like a megaphone. Working with your teacher, the higher notes will come, but don't neglect the total package for a few more notes.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I think it's less the max of your ability, but you're reaching the point where each note takes exponentially more energy, muscle, control and air speed.

Think about it like this. A standard Bugatti Veyron has 1001 hp with a top speed of 253. The Super Sport version with 1200 hp, and a lot less weight can "only" reach 267. Now, take a car with 199 horsepower, can it go faster than 14 miles an hour? Of course! But at higher speeds, because of factors like efficiency and drag from air, it takes more power to get small gains in speed.

So taking that idea to trumpet playing, in the lower ranges of the instrument, adding a half step really isn't that much but as you get higher it becomes increasingly difficult to add just that little bit more.

That doesn't mean get discouraged, there could be other factors at play. I had a double G in high school but I was playing quite poorly, once I fixed my problems in college I could only barely get a high C. However, given a semesters time I was back up to a bigger and better high F than I ever played. Just keep up good diligent practice and take time to work on the other aspects of your playing. Range will come with time. Having style, endurance, flexibility, and a good ear are all important components of trumpet playing as well. Focus on becoming a better player and be patient with your gains.

FWIW my last semester as a music major, one of the best trumpet players I had ever heard came and gave a clinic. He couldn't, and had never been able to play higher than high F.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Play lots more High C's & D's in your daily work.... then your F's will get better.