Range Plateau?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, May 28, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When our range stops at a specific note - there is a mechanical reason why:pRESSURE!

If we are plaing with low(er) pressure and proper body use and breathing, our range just thins out at the top untill it becomes a whisper. there is a point where our support no longer can help keep the lips in motion, but that changes every day depending on sleep, sodium intake, level of playing on the previous day.

Why do we use pressure naturally? Because it works. As we get better, we play smarter and it isn't the six pack in our face or abs that help smart. It is the integration of what we hear, how prepared our body is, how we breathe and the musical content. it is really tough to play smart if we have limited experience and are trying to prove something. It is really tough to get pressure under control if our development is continually "limited" by marching band.

The key to improving the upper register is to find the sources of tension and pressure and intelligently eliminate them. I always teach breathing and body use first. Then comes lipslurs - also as relaxed as possible. Practicing after a hot shower often shows the player how much tension they normally use!

No integration, no success. I recommend talking to your teacher about body use - I have yoga more in mind than athletics. Lipslurs are very key to developing patterns of motion advantageous for the upper register. Getting pressure off of the face goes a long way in unlocking that door at the top of yours.

Good luck!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd recommend playing that Eb stronger to keep it from Hadyn for the audience.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Some sage advese from the "other" trumpet site:

Pops
    Heavyweight Member

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a balance between strength, finesse and muscle memory that we need to play well up high.

Muscle memory is the most important.
    That means trying to play high is important.

You can't learn to control high G if you only play 5 high Fs a day.
    60 - 100 high notes is a good number. But it takes a while to get there.
    10 Fs a day for a week
    20 a day for a week
    50 Fs a day and 10 Gs
    60 fs and 20 Gs
    70 and 30 (70 + 30 =100)
    80 and 40
    Change
    50 Gs and 10 As (60 notes G or over)
    Every month you add a note.

This idea is one reason I rewrote the Arban book and expanded it up. There would be musics and exercises in any key to do the work.

Video Courses, Ebooks, Skype Lessons Pops trumpet lessons help trumpet players learn to play trumpet effortlessly.
    Tensionless Playing This book teaches you to relax facial tension and double your endurance.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might add it was VERY NICE DOUBLE E -- that I heard recently at GM's gig in Cleveland --- and it didn't come in the beginning of a song, it came at the end of 1 song, and about MIDWAY through the gig ----- yes, a VERY NICE SOUNDING WITH DECENT VOLUME EE, so don't let that 50 months seem like GM was SLACKING, he was not --- he was just IMPROVING his SOUND --- IMHO

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course -- I've hi-lited a few points of this response --- most of it seems a "reasonable" explanation -- so I won't Dis the Rowuk!!! ROFL ---- but I would like to add my own "experience" which actually can only be "refuted" by me anyhow. I do notice that certain foods, (salty) effect my range, and that may correspond to how much water intake I normally consume, such that my body(lips) may be slightly different, and my range is typically effected by one or possibly 2 notes --.
    as far as the integration of the body,mind, soul, ears, etc. -- and not having 6 pack lips/abs (((I definitely don't have the 6 pack abs )))-- but the lips, I do believe it generally took 2-3 years of my comeback, and playing multiple HOURS each day, to develop embouchure capable of holding a small aperture in my lips which allowed me to consistently play higher notes.
    ------
    so for me -- I actually had the A above the high C within 2 years or so of my comeback --- 3 1/2 years later, I generally have the highest note as that A!!!! although in those 44 months, the A is more reproducible, and mostly a guarantee that I can play at least one on any given day that sounds GOOD!!!! the other notes below that have gotten more musical also ------------------------------- can I play a Double C (nearly 6 staves above the staff)? --- an octave above the C, 2 staves above the staff --- YES, does it sound GOOD? --- NO, it's too light, too airy --- perhaps the A is the top of the line for me!!!!!

6. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Check out Pops McLaughlin's ideas on expanding range. Seems like he really has the knack of being able to help people with this. One other thing that really helped me was Carmine Caruso's program. I started with one of Carmine's students and eventually went to Carmine for a year or so. I continued working with my first Caruso teacher for a few years. Carmine's exercises are really taxing and sound horrendous at times. (It helps to have good neighbors) It's not a good idea to practice these on a day you have a performance.
    I don't really play much these days. If I ever start playing and practicing full time I would not hesitate to go back to the Caruso exercises. The best I ever played were the years I faithfully did Carmine's Program.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones

8. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Everyone has a personal range limit....but my conservative guess is that 98% of trumpet players haven't reached theirs yet.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LONGTONES. Hmm, where have I heard that before? :think:

10. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I think they were a barbershop quartet in the 80's.