Range Plateau?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, May 28, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey man, I know the dude personally. You can't figure this out by watching YouTube videos. You have to work with these people one on one. You can argue all you want, you are wrong.

2. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I am just quoting what he said in the video. Made sense to me. So if you're dismissing tongue level then you don't think much of Claude Gordon's teachings either then.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Troll?

4. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    No I'm not. Just got a passion for this subject.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    is it "post a video" time?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why would I even want to play a DHC now on my regular Bb with COPD. If I did need it, I can still do it readily with my Shilke P5-4. All need now is the capability or cover by another player for the switch.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You're clearly new on the board here - if you weren't you'd know that Rowuk is a professional level trumpet player. He's been playing and teaching trumpet for decades. To blithely say something like, "So if you're dismissing tongue level then you don't think much of Claude Gordon's teachings either then," to him is asinine. Claude Gordon's methods are respected by pretty much every trumpet player who knows anything about playing the instrument, and believe me, Rowuk knows how to play the trumpet.

So, because you seem to want to throw out barbs like the comment above, that are absolutely ridiculous considering what they were and who they were aimed at, makes it seem like you are a troll - sorry if I have that perception.

I can respect someone who is passionate, but in context with who you are discussing this with, you might be better served to do less speaking and more listening. I've been behind the horn for 33 years, I've gotten paid to play for 25+ of them, and when Rowuk has something to say on a subject, I still take note and listen - I don't always agree, but to discount his opinion (which is based on decades of doing and teaching) out of hand, just isn't smart.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow! This might just win the cognitive distortion of the week award!

9. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    No it's a genuine enquiry since Claude Gordon's teachings are firmly based in tongue level considerations. Don't be so sensitive everyone.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    X9ret, as far as I can tell, rowuk preaches a holistic approach to the trumpet, which includes tongue arch along with a whole lot of other things. Tongue arch is not the be all end all you make it out to be. Sure, it is important, but to focus exclusively and extensively on tongue arch is bad learning and even worse teaching.