Range Plateau?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, May 28, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that Rowuk teaches it, but he doesn't focus on it - rather, it's an incorporated part of a whole approach. Maybe you should have gotten some clarity on that before assuming he disregards or doesn't respect Gordon's entire approach.

Considering that you got hit with the ban hammer once, maybe you should check the tone of what you post and who you post it to before you hit "submit." If you do that, it will prevent future bannings, and it might also prevent you from saying things like, "don't be so sensitive everyone."

2. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I am not focusing exclusively on it. I just identified it as the cause of my range issues. Focusing on this has improved my high range.

3. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Please refer to the other thread where he states he does not teach tongue height.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just because he doesn't specifically teach it doesn't mean that he disregards it or is unaware of it.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi rowuk,
    You stated:
    "Arching the tongue if it is not tied to the other necessities only serves to increase tension more."
    ---
    That is true. It needs to be a complete package. I've been playing in the stratosphere for close to 40 years and it's about a supple balance of a bunch of things and when a person tries to pick apart all the things it takes (and I don't even know what they are) often the further away from the goal they get. The one thing that helps is learning the basics and never letting them go. That's why I advocate The Basics Sheet. Learn correctly then expand. I have used Arch Tongue and Hiss (in my own form) for a loooong time and if it's not coordinated with all the other nuances, then yes, tension will manifest somewhere.
    Dr.Mark

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When we play a note, the air column inside the instrument has defined and mathematically predictable areas of high pressure and no pressure. In physics these are known as nodes and anti-nodes. The higher the tone, the more of these nodes inside the instrument. With a horn of sufficient light weight, we can play a long tone we can gently run a finger around the leadpipe and/or bell and feel some of the vibrations. Change to a different harmonic and that place will move.

Now for the esoteric part. Playing a long tone, we can shift our awareness to inside the trumpet, and imagine/feel a point of resistance somewhere inside the horn. I call these "magic bubbles." To slur up, we can "blow" this magic bubble further away, backing off will allow the magic bubble to return to its place closer to the mouthpiece.

Our body will memorize the feel of these notes and nodes much more quickly than the cognitive control of tongue arch can. Remember that the embouchure is formed in part by the note that it is playing.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi x9ret,
    You stated:
    "No I'm not. Just got a passion for this subject."
    ---
    Send us a video of you playing. You're in 10th grade and we've dealt with and greatly assisted kids of all ages. If you want help, let us see you perform. You do want to get better, right?
    And also, you'll be critiqued by some very knowledged players and instructors so don't go ballistic if you hear something you don't want to hear. Take the info and learn from it.
    Now, here's the BIG QUESTION!! Are you brave enough to work up a couple of songs for us to critique?
    Put your big boy pants on and show us what you've got. Today is 6/3/14 so can you have something for us say by Monday 6/9/14?
    Dr.Mark

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    gone.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Zeal without knowledge (Imo).

10. tobylou8