Range Plateau?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, May 28, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks to rowuk for showing him the door.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is always interesting what shows up at the end of the school year. I really struggle to figure out why the "problems" don't show up earlier. I mean how do you get through a whole year of playing, and everything falls apart at the end? In my world, the student gets better with time, learns how to ask questions instead of telling working pros that they are full of it. I hope that X9ret gets some personal contact with real players instead of feeding the YouTube fantasies. I have never had a student have to need to prove themselves like niner did. He wanted to be THE expert in the worst way. In any case, like with the chops, when we clamp off communication, the buzz simply stops. Sorry.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- I agree --- it's been 5 and a half years on my comeback (sure, I have a G, and the A above High C on good days) -- that is with good sound --- the only pro than can vouch for this is the Saxophone player in GM's band (GM can only vouch, that I can "hit" a Double G) ---- but Gig playing, and endurance, and other issues -- I would have to KNOCK those notes down to the F anyhow!!!! -------------- one lesson I have learned (and much Patience for the ADMINISTRATORS in my early years here on TM)))) -- I have found over the past 5 1/2 years, that I don't NEED to show off, and I don't HAVE all the answers to how I can play everything from the Low F# (below the staff) and up to those G's and A's above high C ---- except 1000's of hours on the horn ------ I did the time, but I still don't have ALL the answers

5. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I can't quote the source... but I hear it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at anything. Pick a discipline... 10,000 hours required. If you don't want to pay the time price... you don't get to be a virtuoso...

As brass players... we have to realize that an awful lot of those 10,000 hours have to be recent as well...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The source of 5000 - 10,000 hours is from learning to be a surgeon before they allow one to cut up real living human flesh. It is simply the time required to create a non chemical habit. Those that have experienced this take all of the overnight miracle crap with a grain of salt - regardless if the crapper is talking about range, security or swabbing the leadpipe. We need repetitions to commit something to long term memory with a reasonable amount of recall-ability!