Range Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jul 3, 2009.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi John,

Rowak has hit it with his question "How will you know when you are doing it right", as a comeback player 25 years ago I had several teachers that did not address these issues and my range was not much over the top of the stave, which was adequate for what I was doing at the time.

I tried several methods for increasing range without much success until I found Greg Spence's "The Only No Mystery Guide to Trumpet Mastery", check www.mysterytomastery.com (comes with a cd with all exercises demonstrated)

This took me right back to basics and changed my whole approach to playing and now at 71 I have a usable range to F above high C and increasing, playing a lot of lead in an amateur Big Band.

If you do not have access to a GOOD teacher, this method may work for you as it has for me.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you have a web cam?

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Unfortunately no. My parents would probably not want me having one anyway though because of security issues...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can explain to your parents that ones embouchure, while as individual as a fingerprint, is not easily traceable on the web and poses no security threat. The only thing your chops could be used for as identification is with your girlfriend.

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    O NO! You really think she would notice?!?...now I really can't get one...

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I don't mean to be skeptical of your lower range, but that is the first place to look for problems. Are you absolutely sure your low range sounds as full, open and relaxed as possible?

Can you slur intervals with ease and good sound? In my many years, I've never found one instance where range problems actually began with high notes. The clue can be found somewhere else in your playing.

Forget about range for a moment and jot down some notes about your playing: What do you like and what do you NOT like about your playing, besides range?

Whatever weaknesses you discover about your playing is probably what's affecting your range.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm possitive about my low range...I will have to try taking some notes.

I also found that playing quieter and the lessons on this website www.mysterytomastery.com seem to have you working on the same stuff.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    using a web cam is no different than talking on the phone except you can see each other. There are far more security issues just surfing on the internet. Plus if you have a broadband hookup, the service is free. The only cost is for a good webcam. About $100.00 for a top of the line.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Contradictory to an earlier post I made today, I was playing around with my sister's clarinet today, just trying to make a noise. Then I moved to my trumpet, and my high register notes just flew out. I think part of it is a clarinet takes an immense amount of air, and by using it first i got my air flow going. This fast, large volume of air allowed for me to pump out clear, piercing high notes way above the staff. I don't know if you have a clarinet, but anyway....If you don't want to do or can't afford the whole lessons thing (I am going into 10th grade too) try getting one or two lessons in. I am doing that this summer, and getting someone at a higher level's thoughts on my playing, so that way I kno exactly where to improve, and how to do so properly.

(btw have fun in marching band, greatest thing next to jazz, to play)

10. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I might even consider lessons from my all star brass band director. He already gives private lessons but I'll have to check.

Regarding the web cams though, I honestly don't really want to spend money for one if this is the only thing I would be using it for.