range problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Apr 11, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So, ya know how range is important and all, well I have usually an E above high C, I play with correct embochure (the corners back and down) pushing with the diaphram and with the correct tongue arch etc, but lately my tone has been sucking up there(sounding a touch strained and pitch is a bit iffy), and i'm no longer quite slotting like I used to be able to, sometimes my lips just don't respond like they really should, and I havent changed a thing of how i've been playing, any insight from the experienced? (doing 1 hour of practicing outside of school daily, with jazz band 4 hrs a week split into two days, lessons once a week, and we have auditions for parts next marching season coming up soon)

2. bigdanv

bigdanv Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2009
    Connecticut
    I can't be sure without actually seeing/hearing you play, but what you're describing sounds like how I feel when my chops are over-taxed. I would take a day off, but that's just me.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You say that you have lessons once a week. I assume, these are private lessons. Have you spoken with your teacher about the problem? If not do and follow what he tells you. If you do not get help from your teacher find a better teacher.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Find local help. The internet will just give you a ton of things to worry about that probably don't apply. Do not EVER assume that your playing is "correct". I know of noone who doesn't have something serious to work on. Remember, pride goes before a fall.

When I am having a hard time, I just get back to basics. Long tones, lipslurs and easy tunes.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Don't play for a week.

6. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Take a short break, that's not a week, one or two days at most. Take a week off and it'll just get worse. You're probably stressed about the audition too, and that affects playing. Just do what that really annoying advert on tv says... "Stop, and just take a break!"

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here we go again....

please explain "pushing with the diaphragm".

8. sachamo512

sachamo512 New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    I find that I go through certain peaks and barriers in range as well. All I can really say is that you need to focus on being able to play the note first, then work on making it sound good. As you get more comfortable with playing the E, your lips and air support will become stronger, and you will be able to make the tone brighter and less "pinched"

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    where I fill up with air, and I pull my diaphram in to produce air pressure as I pull in I also sweep up

10. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    also for marching band I tend to flex my abs and pull up and in due to we can actually wail on stuff since the lower parts are able to support the upper parts