Range question :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl612, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Happy New Year, all.

How about this for a resolution:

If someone writes into this forum soliciting my opinion about a matter, please give me a chance to respond before you jump in unless the writer says otherwise.

Emily,

I can pretty well guarantee that before you got the braces, your mouthpiece went very naturally to a place where there was likely an "unevenness" of your teeth. However, that asymmetry probabaly provided you with a balance of upper and lower lip that gave you a good sound and the upper register you presently lack.

When you went back to playing post braces, you probably went to the "mark" where your lips told you instead of where your teeth told. You must liberate yourself from old habits and use sound to tell you where to place the mouthpiece on your lips. All the lips do is reflect the shape of the teeth once your mouthpiece is up to your face.

If you're willing to play with a great sound but a little less range for a short while, here's what you need do:

Smile big... take your mouthpiece and horn (not just mouthpiece) and, starting from one side of your smile, place the mouthpiece over your teeth and slowly travel from one side to the other. Find the places where the mouthpiece "sits". Do it again except don't start over as far, start closer to the center. Keep repeating this process until you find something as cloe to the center as you can that "sits" in a nice balanced way.

Tip: If possible, have your teeth meet as you do this, as opposed to the ususal sort of mild "underbite" most people have.

Once you decide on a "spot' do the same blessed thing all over again but with the mouthpiece over your lips. My guess is that the two spots you decide on will match up.

Then AGAIN, you do the same thing all over again BUT while playing a middle G. Look for the most pristine sound you can while observing for the most relaxed approach you can muster.

Once you figure this out, you will have a gorgeous sound but not your old high register. That will come with gradual fundamental work and will last longer.

There you go. Let go of the old and listen to the sound your body wants to make.

ML

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I noticed a big jump in range when I stopped smiling and got the corners in. More of a too or doo when you tongue. With the ooo you cant smile.

To Change I used Schlosberg (sp?) The first studies.
    Start on C and go down to G and then to low C.

Think eee aaa oooo

Do this with all the valve combinations.

I think that with the braces somehow you were using some pressure to get high notes and the braces were interacting with the lip to make just the right shape. Now that the braces are off that spot is gone and you need the lip muscle instead of the arm.

I never had braces so this is a guess but I do know the oooo thing works.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Boy am I glad you type faster then me!

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    B15M,

I just made a connection regarding something you where concerned about recently.

You were mentioning in a different thread that you were playing sharp. The eee you mentioned will contribute to that if you're doing it in what I consider to be the middle register. I make that assumption because of the Schlossberg study you referred to in the above post. I wouldn't think of the eee vowel until way, way higher than the first space E in that study.

Just a thought...

ML

5. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    Thanks Manny,
    I appreciate your input. I am taking a trip to Dillon's early this week, so hopefully soon after I can get started on finding the "spots"
    thanks again and Happy New Year!!
    Em

also, b15, manny gave me the same advice last year about intonation...worked for me at least

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's fine, of course, but I'm curious, now.

Why not today?

ML

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Manny, I'm curious - when would you start to think of the "eee" vowel?

8. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    well...i guess i can change things up

btw, i am going to D's today..leaving in 1/ hr actually

but my thinking was i pratice on a set schedule/outline
    slurs/slcales
    the rage work
    later on..slurs, clarke tech, arbans
    later....slurs, intervals, tonguing etc
    later still...slurs, music im working on, other

but....i guess its time for a chage

thanks again Manny

btw, Wayne Trager, acutally i used to be friends with his daughter, lives right near me, so I scheduled a lesson with him for Friday, this way I can at least get some extra work in over break
    plus, I love to play ith diff teachers and hear what they have to say, its a great ego boost even if you dont use their suggestions all the time

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thanks Manny for thinking of me.

I don't think it's because of the eee thing. I haven't had trouble with that in a long time. I think it's a combination of not enough air and my bottom jaw.

I have been working with a tuner and a tuning fork since my last lesson and I think I have it. If I sit down and play sharp I can adjust now but I have to check each time before I play. Then I check again throughout my playing just to make sure. Yesterday I was fine all day.

Another thing I worked on in my last lesson was triple tonguing. It's starting to go well. (Arbans)

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Fact is...

I don't. I just let it happen. I can say, however, that it doesn't get activated until I'm in the typical symphonic trumpeter's altissimo register above high C and beyond. Lead players altissimo register starts probably around high F or so. Everybody's different.

ML