range studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzfreak, Nov 9, 2014.

1. jazzfreak

jazzfreak New Friend

Nov 5, 2014
    ny
    hi I am in 8 th grade and can play up to a high d above the staff. I can only do this this with maximum effort. when I try to go above it I hear just air. I was hoping if somebody could give me some few tips on range development.

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    High D in 8th grade is more than you'll need. My son, also in 8th grade, can basically do the same. Hit the D but he works too hard to get to it. My suggestion, work on other tools to expand you're skills. TONE, tonguing, finger dexterity, etc. A lot of players want to play high, the good ones can play with all the other skills. I'd rather hear a young player that sounds good and can handle the technical work than one that just squeak out high notes.

To answer your question, I'd suggest Iron's and Claude Gordon's Systematic approach. Iron's will really help your flexibility and SA will help both pedal and high register development. But, I don't think you should try to tackle either of these alone. You really should have a private tutor helping you. If you already do, you should be asking him/her this question.

Mark

3. jazzfreak

jazzfreak New Friend

Nov 5, 2014
    ny
    thankyou

4. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    I had trouble like that. Then during my comeback I found out about tongue arch. Now I understand how it is done and can get there but have not really spent the time to nail it down. But look into Systematic Approach by Claude Gordon, Tongue Level and Air by Eric Bolvin, New Arban by Pops McLaughlin, etc... While your range is sufficient for where you are even good it does not mean you cannot develop it further with good habits. Do not do this at the expense of musicality but it is always fun to play up there. Have Fun.

A good teacher that can play up there to share with you is a help too.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Jazzfreak, remember that range is just one part of a total package.

Can you multiple tongue while fingering? Can you play both pppp and ffff? Do you have your major scales memorized? Can you play two octave scales tongued starting with low F# to f# on top of the staff and continue those scales to your high d? Can you play in tune? Can you play a proper dotted eighth sixteenth rhythm? Can you lip trill? Do you have a good sound?

All of the above contribute to range.

Regarding the air that comes when trying to play an eb or above, it is highly probable that your lips are too far apart and locked into place by mouthpiece pressure.

Work on the total package and your range will grow.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When our range stops at a particular note, it is because we use too much pressure. We use pressure, because it is easier than learning to play correctly. Pressure compensates for breathing that sucks as well as bad body use/posture.

If you stop using pressure before you get the rest together, your playing falls apart! The best thing that you can do is to get together with a trumpeter much better than you are and pay attention. A good teacher could end up being your best friend. No teacher generally means a lot of talk and little action!