Range vs Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Feb 1, 2013.

1. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I took a semester off in college to focus on my studies and that "short break" lasted 20 years.

2. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    I meant high school. I worked so long to get an embossure that won't give out. I have no plans to stop playing

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I urge you to talk with your conductor first.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For the sole purpose of listening to your own playback of sound quality, IMO your recording microphone should be about the 10th row of your audience or 30 feet in front of your bell. Remember also, that when the wind is in your face, that your sound doesn't travel very far.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've always had it lucky, I guess. The sound I heard in the room showed up on recordings.

6. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Aarix, I agree with you that balance goes both ways and underblowing is as bad as overblowing, but you can't compensate for the bones being boneheads by blowing your brains out....nor can you force them to do what you want..that is the director's job (refer to Vulgano Brother's photo). Sometimes loud and in-your-face is what is needed, and at your age, that's pretty much what's fun. However, in time, you may come to realize the truth behind the curtain. The things that appear difficult and challenging are in reality, nothing more than mere technical proficiency which becomes sterile and bereft of beauty, while the things that appear on the surface to be very simple are, in fact, incredibly difficult, complex and fraught with emotion and feeling. I find the most difficult passage of the the Haydn Concerto to be the last 6 notes of the second movement. The ineffable beauty and delicacy is an incredible challenge. Musicians do not create beauty...that would be incredible hubris to make that statement. We do however frame it and make it available for people to actually notice it and the beauty is often in the small nuances. These can't be found in just blasting away all the time. Take this as a challenge and you will grow immensely as a musician and a person. As I told a former student as we were performing together a few months ago "Dolce...Sweetly...We're rocking the baby to sleep, not catapulting him across the street." To which he replied, "But I like catapulting babies across the street." and my answer was "Yes, I know, we all do...but that's not what we're doing right now."

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  7. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Luckily, I'm one of those rare players who can't play either high or with good tone. So I don't have these dilemmas.

8. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Come on! Don't be so down on yourself mate. I'm sure you sound great, and besides, you can only improve! Keep at it :-)

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    How did the trumpet player commit suicide?

He climbed to the top of his range and jumped off.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have been a little puzzled by this thread, which I have followed loosely. With respect to the young OP, what is the point of range without tone? Is your goal music making or noise making? If noise, there are many ways to make far more with less effort than use of a trumpet. If your upper register is not musical, do you really have it? And if you are not blending with your fellow musicians in a pleasing way that appeals to listeners, what is your point?

I am not being critical of the OP or any other posters, merely seeking to enlarge my understanding.

Jim